1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Know your rights!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by DJGEOJOE, Feb 18, 2003.

1. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Does anyone know of a list on the net of all the countries and what is illegal in each country? I read in a thread that the Messiah 2 Pro is illegal to sell in Canada, what about the Magic? How about Europe or US ect. Also I would like to know what makes it illegal, owning one, selling one, buying one, having one installed or even installing it your self? Where does the law draw the line? One of the mod chips for the _box (I will not say any names) is sold without a bios for legal reasons does that make it legal to own one, why do most other chips for other systems have the code on them? I think there should be a thread (this one) on the legality of what is going on with modifications. At what point in the process of ordering a mod receiving, installing, using and selling is against the law in your country?

Please only post if you know for sure the laws in your country and please do not post anything that will offend the sysop. ;)

2. Gx-9900

Gx-9900 Member

The modchips themselves are legal about everywhere. However now in the US it is illegal to backup even games you own. The only legal action that your allowed to use a modchip for is playing import games. I think it is still legal to backup games in canada and Europe though.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

There was a suit by Sony vs a reseller in Canada of the Messiah. The reseller was fined $11,000 and got one year probation. I don't know if it was appealed or what the current status is. (Source CNN)
    A similar suit was filed in Australia and the courts ruled against Sony.
    In the US you are allowed to make backup's of the orginal media you own for your personal use only. This has been tested in the courts on many occasions for Movies and Music. I would think the same would apply to games.
    The status on selling Mod chips is being defined by the courts and Sony and is not clear in many countries.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2003