1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Known problems with Magic 3.1?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by whassup, Dec 30, 2003.

1. whassup

whassup Regular member

I'll be buying a pre-modded v7 with a Magic 3.1 in it. I just want to know if there are any known problems with this chip?

Any type of game or back-up (copy) protection I should be on the lookout for?

2. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] i have a v7 with magic 3.1 and it works great. i dont know about the doulble protection on new games thing but i was able to play all the new games fine. heres are the games i have so far...
    -nba live 2004
    -need for speed underground
    -espn nba basketball
    -final fantasy x-2
    -true crime
    -wwe smackdown: hctp
    i burn all my games at 1x with record now usin verbatim and tdk dvd-r. also, when order your premod remember to ask them to doulble check with all games: cd back ups, dvd back ups, and originals. because when you recieve your promod and it doesnt work, its gonna be a hassle to get return and fix. and make sure the site you're orderin from is reliable.

3. c7015

c7015 Regular member

the only major flaw with the magic is the inability to play doubble check games such as the max payne games and deuce x simpsons skateboarding and there are a hadful more not woth mentioning. It is not that big of a problem though since you may not even want most of the select few games that come with the doubble check security but it is still an issue with the chip

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

Thanks guys.

One more question, although I probably know what the answer is.

Is there any way of looking at the box if it's got the double check protection? Or is it just a case by case basis? (I would guess the latter.)

Does the Magic V get around this or any other mod chip?

5. wardair

wardair Member

r u sure about the max payne games i have 1 and 2 v4 with a magic 3.1 and have no problems with them

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

wassup yes the magic 5 chip solves the double check problem with v7 consoles
    wardair the magic 3.1 problem is only related to v7 and higher consoles

7. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

magic also has a small problem with heating up... on games like GTA3 and GTA VC..... iv seen alot of people that this happen to them...

8. wardair

wardair Member

thanks devilhunt

its true what they say you learn something new everyday
    if you dont u r dead

9. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

When you say Max Payne games won't work with a v7 ps2 with magic 3.1, are you also including Max Payne 2? I heard that someone was able to boot Max Payne 2 with there v7 ps2 and magic 3.1
    Is this true??????

10. fly_low

fly_low Member

I've backed up max payne 2 on cheap dvd-r media and play it on my v7 w/magic 3.1 no problems at all.
    only problem I've run into is manhunt freezing up, but thats on cheap media as well.

11. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Thanks Fly for letting me know that. Yeah I was pretty sure that people have got Max Payne 2 to work with a v7 ps2 with magic 3.1 but have not been able to work Max Payne 1.