1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kreon SH-D162C wont read XBox/360 discs

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by kollision, May 15, 2007.

1. kollision

kollision Regular member

It works randomly off and on. When it doesnt work (which is 80% of the time Ive tried), XBox Backup Creator hangs when it tries to read the disc. After a couple of minutes the system unfreezes but I still cant backup the disc, its just greyed out.

Ive changed IDE channels, changed it from Master to Slave, etc. but its still doing this to me. Been searching everywhere but seems that Im the only one with this problem. It reads other media fine, like DVDs, and even Backed Up XBox 360 discsm but wont read my original XBox discs. Also tried Schtrom and it says its not an "valid XBox disc".

When it does work, it makes flawless backups. Ive reflashed the Kreon .81 but still the same thing.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

That is odd. I have not heard that happening to anyone else so far. Mine works great (i have the SH-D163A SATA version)
    which version of Xbox Backup Creator are you using? I have not gone above 2.4 yet as 2.5 gave me some problems.

3. kollision

kollision Regular member

Hi there,

Its the latest one, 2.5.0.230. Like I mentioned, I also used Schtrom, same problem. Not really sure whats going on, its really getting to me though, since I put down 50 bucks to make backups of my originals, and they have scratches (due to moving the console).

I have also never heard of this, therefore Im thinking it might be a driver/software/etc. reason?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

when you make your back ups with XBC do you go to the tools tab and press "unlock drive" before you try to copy the disc?
    I would also suggest that you drop back down to V2.4

5. kollision

kollision Regular member

It's grayed out when I have no disc in. I cant select Unlock Drive. Only thing I can select is Eject/Load.

The only way for me to do that is to select the Options tab, then put the disc in. If its on Read tab, then it hangs and it has trouble with the disc. So I put it on the Options tab first, put in the disc, and clicked Unlock Drive. Still the same, program frozen.

6. kollision

kollision Regular member

Forgot to mention, when the program comes back, it says "Drive is already unlocked, 6.87 GB Capacity".

7. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, have to have the disc in when you do the unlock drive part.
    Usually i put a disc in, let it load up for about 30 seconds, then do unlock drive, then read.
    Have you give V2.4 a try just for kicks?

There is a conflict somewhere, just not sure where so you basically have to eliminate things one by one, which i know is kind of annoying.

8. kollision

kollision Regular member

Well just tried 2.4 and same thing, this time it doesnt freeze. Ever since I did the Unlock Drive on the 2.5, it doesnt freeze, but it still wont read.

Ive been trying it with both SPTI and ASPI.

Thanks for trying to help me though. This problem didnt exist when I had an external IDE case, but I returned it back to the store :(

9. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, sorry you could not get it worked out. Not sure why it is giving you problems. But every PC seems to work just a little different. My drive i just plugged up and did those three steps above and has not one problem.

There is another copy method but from reading it looks like a complete pain in the arse.

10. kollision

kollision Regular member

Do you mean the wxripper?

11. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, where you have to take the DVD drive top off and all that junk.

12. kollision

kollision Regular member

O ya, I dont want to do that. I couldve done that on my other drives hehe.

13. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

when u put in a 360 game into ur sammy drive flashed with kreon v.081 make sure ur sammy drive is flashed with kreon v081
    dont open up xbox back up creator yet go to my computer and u shuld check to see if the disc is recognised in the sammy drive it will say something like xboxdvd just to let u know that the sammy drive has read the game
    then once that is done open up xbox back up creator 2.4 and click on spti and make sure that ur sammy drive is selected and not any other drive then click on drive tools and unlock drive do it twice
    then just click read make sure complete back up is picked and hit startonce it asks u to save the game save it as iso.dvd
    hope this helps
    i know uve checked ur master and slave

14. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

r u using it to make xbox 360 back ups or xbox 1 back ups
    just re read ur first post and u say it works for 360 back ups but not xbox 1 back ups i dont know if this works for xbox 1 but u culd try and click on options and make sure its set to xbox 1 it give the option just under the sammy drive on the right hand side
    and one the image tools its selected as autodetect change it to xbox1

15. kollision

kollision Regular member

I did what you said, I put in the game, let the computer recongnize it, opened XBC, clicked Unlock twice, went back to read, and its still the same, its all grey. Instead of 5.26 MB that it normally shows (even when the drive works) it now says 7.02 GB. Normally when my drive works, it stays at 5.26 MB until I actually start backing it up, then it goes to around 6 GB.

16. kollision

kollision Regular member

When it doesnt work, it doesnt work for either. When it works, it works for both. Its a random occasion, but more often than not, it doesnt recognize XBox/Xbox360 discs at all.

17. kollision

kollision Regular member

I just restarted and oddly enough its working now. Thanks steimy and immy for putting up with me. I guess when it does this again, Ill try that Unlock Drive and then restart.

18. steimy

steimy Active member

sorry it took so long. PC's are just weird. some times they have a mind of their own and do what ever the heck they want, LOL
    BUt glad you got it working now.

19. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

that is true it could just be something on ur pc or ur op system u might be missing something
    if u keep getting errors re load ur operating system as when u download alot of stuff and u delete em sometimes it affects certain programmes
    that might be ur problem

20. kollision

kollision Regular member

Well steimy and immy, the problem is back again! I tried to do the unlock drive twice, restart, and then tried again, but no go. Ughh.