1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KVCD and VCDEasy

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nownthen, Nov 14, 2004.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I have been searching for help on this topic for a few days now. There is a lot of talk about KVCD but nothing that really covers my problem. I looked at how to make VCD and SVCDS with VCDEasy. I can make them just fine and they work great. Now I'm trying to figure out this KVCD. There must be something I'm missing because when I tried to burn the file I converted it wasn't small enough to fit on the cd. VCDEasy said to use a 90 minute cd. The file was about 1h 40min. There must be a setting or something that I missed with VCDEasy or when I converted it. The converted file is a lot smaller then the original so I figure I converted it right. i used the wizard and the templetes.

I used VCDEasy ver: 2.1.1 Commercial
    amd TMPGEnc ver: 2.58.44.152

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Are you sure that when you, with TMPGenc, multiplexed whe sound with the KVCD .M1V file, you used "Video-CD" non-standard?
    You should have a 500 MB movie + a 100 MB sound (.MP2 or the audio from a .MPG movie) that
    1) if you chooose 'Video-CD' will give a 1000-1400 MB file!
    2) if you chooose 'Video-CD non standard' will give a 600 MB file

I received some comment that KVCD movies lose quality with respect to normal VCDs. Can you report on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126073 any comment about your conversions, please (of course, with TMPgenc set on [bold]'Motion Search Precision = Highest Quality (very slow)' [/bold]?
    Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  3. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

So there aren't and special settings needed for VCDEasy. It all has to do with the encoding of the file. I know I extracted the wave but I didn't compress it to mp2. Would that make the difference?

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You can multiplex an audio to a M1V video file only if it has been compressed to MP2.
    Otherwise you won't obtain a mpeg!
    Answer to my poll about KVCD quality, please!

5. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I've looked through the default settings the templete created (I didn't change any of them when I encoded). With the KVCD templete selected the default setting is VCD non standard. The audio is mpeg II.

6. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Thanks for all your help. I'm happy to say I have it working now.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You'r every welcome. Please, partecipate to my 'poll'(http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126073). Thanks!