1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labelling DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by gerard514, Feb 5, 2005.

1. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok so want to go out and buy a espson rx-300 (i think thats what it is called) it will print right onto ink-jet printable dvd's. My question is what type of blank media with printable tops could i use (the good ones) I think virbatim has them but does anyone know of any others or should i stick with them since they are a good brand. Also where might i be able to find these discs at a good price and a place that wont rip off or has damage crappy disc(America).

2)) Does any one use this epson printer for disc labeling? if so how is it quality and is it less problematic.

2. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I just bought an Epson 300R and love it. I have burned allot of disks and used labels till now. I have had mixed results with DVD Quality ..... good DVD Media helped but still found that the odd DVD stand alone player would still have problems ..... found out it was the Labels .... or so far seams to be as I peeled off a couple of labels on movies I had backed up before that would freez on me ..... I have only tried one and the jury is still out but surprising .... no more freezing.

The draw back to the epson ..... ink ..... $20 / chartrage X 6 though with refilling so cheap that may help. Go for it .... give it a try.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  3. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

How is the quality? How much did you pay (average if you wish not to disclose) where did you purchase? How long do you think will last you those six cart.? What type of media disc are you using. I am inbetween verbatim datalife plus inkjet printable disc hub printing. And ritek printables. all being dvd-r 8x

Ialso found a rx-200 and if you have heard about it do you know the difference?

Thanks for the help.

4. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I am using the Verbaitim disks and the quality of the prints are great, the software is easy to use. I don't know what type of shelf life I will get from the printer or the ink as I have just bought it on Monday and just printed a couple of disks. Epson claims you will get about 500 prints per chart but I will wait to see. For now I will use the R300 for my disks and my Cannon for other print jobs till I can get the chip reseter and refil my own. A web site I have found for ink and such if your interested .... they have both Canadian and US distributors .....

http://www.atlanticinkjet.com/ink-cartridge-refills-epson-Stylus-Photo-R300.asp?Nation=CAN

I bough my printer at Costco in Ottawa Canada adn paid $199 before rebates .... $40 back in the mail. Costco sells the ink for refilling but I need to find a tool to reset the smart chip on it. Yes I heard of the R200 and the big difference is all the photo opptions in it but they were all sold out, stand alone printing, card reader ..... etc. I don't regret buying it. Costco also sells TDK printable disks ..... $49 / 50 count I don't know what quality they but will try them probably. If you can find them Tayo Yodens are the best .... and will probably buy some one of these days.

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I use the r200 and it is reliable and pretty quick.
    rima.com sells ink 6packs for 30 bucks that print extremely well.
    The 8x Riteks burn good and have an improved printing surface. They go for about 40-45 per 100.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just bought 25 Ritek white printables from Meritline.com for $13.25 with free shipping. Took 5 days to get them.

Jerry

7. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

i bought the epson r-320...and it prints excellent for the printable dvds. i also use verbatim printable and taiyo yuden siver printable (also print well and have a shiny look). got the verbatim printable from newegg.com for $36.99 for 50. i use the acrylic sealer from walmart to seal in the color, just in case, it doesn't run or smudge when trying to clean the dvd.

8. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

so would tayo yodens be the best printable and quality making disc? Or would verbatium or ritek?

I just cant make up my mind once i pick a cd i would like to keep it all the same. Also as far as appearance wise does the white with the print look better or does the shiny cd with the print look better?

9. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

iriedawta

you said that you use acrylic sealer, does this damage the disc or is this like a laminating paper you put on top? What would happen if it didnt go on straight if it was kinda like one of those labels. And what department of walmart do you get it from?

10. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

@ gerad 514...its a spray sealer that you spray on the colored label side of your dvd. it prevents it from smudging or runnig when you or cleaning it or handling it. i clean my dvds with soap and water....other people clean there with something else. but some people in this forum complain that there dvd printable labels smudge when they slide there finger across it and thats way after the 24 hour dying period. the spray is called patricia nimocks clear acrylic sealer matte or gloss. its found in the sewing department or clothing material dept. it cost $4.97, and it is in a blue & black can. so far it works great for me. i can now clean the dvds without the color going down the drain.

11. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Do you put the disc on like a newspaper or cloth etc then spray wait to dry and its ready? Or do you hold it upp and spray because i could imagine if that stuff got on the back what would happen to the disc (the part the laser reads from).

Thanks for your reply's

12. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

you put it on a piece of cloth or paper towel(make sure its laid falt or the spray will get under it). but the ink has to dry first, then you spray it. you only need one coat, do not soak it. and youre' right about the spray getting underside, it will make the disc unreadable in the dvd players and every other players. wait for the spray to dry and you are done.

13. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Great that sounds like an idea that everyone can use. Have you had any incidents where it got under the cd or was unable to read?

14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The R200 prints great. I figure the 300 is faster with some extra options. But I can get 2 r200s for the price of 1 r300 so value rules the day for me. For as long as it lasts.

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I'm pretty sure the R200 and R300 have the same printing specs. The R300 has media slots for camera memory if I'm not mistaken which the R200 doesn't.

Jerry

16. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

So if i am basically only want to be printing on dvd's is it better to go with the 200? Or will the 300 have more quality?

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't think there will be a difference in quality. Check Epsons web site and look at the printing specs on both. I think they are the same.

Jerry

18. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

what is it that you mean not branded? Verbatim like you say is not branded but isnt the brand verbatim?

19. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Also how reliable is the seller that you had posted.? Have you had any problems with the seller or any of their products?

Thanks for the reply's.

20. bassnut

bassnut Regular member