1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels on DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jd2523, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jd2523

jd2523 Member

Does anyone put labels on their copied DVD's? Do they really make the DVD skip? Is there a particular type of label that can be used?

2. bradyboy

bradyboy Member

Hey,
    As far as I know putting labels on discs is not a good idea. Why? It's because of the heat thats generated inside the player, this makes the paper buckle then the disc will be affected. Use a sharpie, best case scenario. Hope this helps.
    BB

3. dsabedra

dsabedra Member

It is recommended that labels no be used, but I do. I use Meritline Glossy DVD/CD labels. I just make sure that I press out any bubbles during application. I never had any problems DVDs skipping. Also, I read somewhere that certain permanent markers can penetrate layers of DVD thus affecting the reading of the data. Sharpies never affected my dvds.

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i use a epson r200 printer for all of my labels , it does a nice job and doesnt make the disc unbalanced .

5. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi it's just a forum, where folk discuss things, the greater opinion, seems labels', are a dis-advantage for the life of the disc.

And all those printer compatable folk, come up with reasons why,
    having got the disc;
    why take the risk,??

gringle

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im not saying printing disc's is the way go or anything . im only telling others what i use . printing disc's has draw backs also , the ink scratches easy and seems to fade a bit with time . i just like printing my disc's because my hand writing is chicken scratch and its easy for me to burn the movie and stick in the printer and im done .

7. jd2523

jd2523 Member

Where can I get the Meritline glossy labels? Don't remember seeing them at staples. Thanks to all for you help.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK my opinion on this matter, and it is just that!!

I was once not so wise way back when DVD copying became popular, and went out and stuck lables on all my DVD's. I had done about 100 DVD's with lables, and all played perfect with no problem!! Now the bad news they played back then but 5 minths later the disk's were having issues skipping, freezing, and just wouldn't play at all!! That was a lot of work and money down the tubes.. So about 4 months ago I purchased the Epson R200 and have been printing directly on TY white inkjet printable DVD's ever since. All of those have been working flawless, even the ones from 4 moths ago!! Point is the lables affected the DVD's some how? I'm not sure how, but all I know is they didnt play anymore. So you can save yourself some heart ache and pain by learning from others on here who have already experienced problem with lables or you can choose to learn the hard way it's totally up to you? If you really want cool lables on your DVD movies then you might want to think about investing in the Epson printers that print directly onto the DVD. The R200 can be had for about $80 now, and in the long run you will save more money because you don't have to buy lables or new DVD's later when the glue from the label eats into your disk.. :)

Also there are already a bunch of posts in AD about putting labels on your movies you may want to read up on them before you make a decision about putting labels on your DVD's :)

9. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Got to agree i print direct to my dvds with a canon ip 4000 absloutely no problems, sticky labels i gave up with a long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I bought stock in Sharpie long ago :)

11. dsabedra

dsabedra Member

jd2523
    I purchased the Meritline DVD glossy labels at Frys Electronics in Texas. They are not nation wide but Meritline does have a website at meritline.com.

Printing directly to the DVD sound very intersting and am very interested in that technology. I tried to find the model number that several people have mentioned but does not mention print on dvd disc directly. I prefer that to labels.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005