1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels on DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ChrisBa, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Member

I have been reading that it is not good to attach a paper label to DVDs as it can cause an imbalance for the DVD player and also cause additional heat. What is the best alternative to this that is still presentable. Magic Marker reflects my poor penmanship.

Chris

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Epson printer

Printable DVDs

3. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

You could take a calligraphy course, of course.....:)

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Lightscribe!!!

You can then download covers onto them,your own pics,or just plain text.

I prefer Full hub inkjet printables with the Epson Stylus Photo R series printers.

5. club42

club42 Regular member

Go with the Epson for sure.

6. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

i use markers, whatever you want man printable media is almost as cheap as regular these days.

7. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Member

I have tried LightScribe with good success. The only thing that would be nice to have is color, of course. I have read a little about the Epson R series printers and the required blank media. From the same perspective as the labels, I have another question - Is the ink that is used to "print" the label enough to change the spinning balance?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Chris

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have both Lightscribe and the Epson R200 and to be honest the lightscribe is the way to go unless you just have to have the color. The Lightscribe is much cleaner and cheaper in the long run (when you consider the cost of ink) Also the ink on a printed disk will always smear where the light scribe is truly permanent.

9. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

no, have had no problem with Tons of printables, verbs, TY's

10. stastny3

stastny3 Member

300bowler i need to talk to u

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There isn't a problem with the printable discs at all, but take one of those discs and rub on the label with your finger. Then look at your finger there will be ink on your finger so they are by no means permanent like the lightscribe. The printable discks do look much better than the lightscribe but if your going for something cheap, permanent, and better looking than a sharpie then Lightscribe would be my suggestion.

12. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Member

I appreciate all of your recommendations. From your comments, I think I have come to my conclusion and will use LightScribe.

Thanks again,

Chris

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

bbmayo:

Have you tried the shiny inkjet printable or the glossy/white full hubs?

My shiny printable look great-best looking by far,but the only drawback is the reg hub.Reg hub is another drawback of lightscribe media.
    The white full hub inkjet printables have a dull look to them.

Now they got the full hub shiny and Ty's got the glossy watershields. The media costs more,but should yield a better looking cover.

BTW: Staple's has the Epson R-260 on sale starting sunday for around $75-$77.00 after easy rebate.

Here's a pic of some of my covers- white/full hubs,Shiny/reg hubs,and lightscribe-with the reg hub:

[​IMG]

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Saug old buddy,

Yes I have tried them all, and don't get me wrong the printable are by far the best looking (I like the glossy white best) but as far as easy, cheap and permanent then Light scribe is better. Take any one of those printable disc's and rub them with your finger and you will see the ink rubs off. Although not many people are going to be rubbing on there disc's like this it just shows that they do smear. Light scribe on the other hand is permanent. I just like the ease of light scribe and I use to put all of my time and effort into making nice looking labels, but I guess I got lazy and didn't really see the point anymore so most of the time I actually just use a sharpie :)

Here are some of my labels
    [​IMG]

15. liquidmc

liquidmc Member

What if the label you are using is plastic? Same problem with the heat issue? How bad is it really is for it anyways..?

16. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Heat is not a factor with paper labels. It is either misalignment, which can be avoided by a good label applicator, or humidity changes that cause the paper to contract and expand unevenly. Polyester labels avoid the humidity problem and are far superior to paper labels. Polyester labels do not cause the warp/tilt problems that destroy DVDs labeled with paper. They still may have the misalignment problem, and the extra steps in the labeling process can increase some scratches on the disc; but in general if you have to apply adhesive labels to a DVD, polyester is the only way to do it safely.

Lightscribe labeling is fine as long as you keep them out of the light. The coating reacts to sunlight and a label will fade completely away in 7 months if exposed to sunlight all day.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Who the hell would expose thier DVD's to sunlight all day? I would guess if you did you would have more issues than a faded label (like a melted disc)

18. vhalkiran

vhalkiran Guest

Um..a little off topic here..but, where is a good place to download the covers for the discs?