1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels vs. Decals for DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CKSMartin, Dec 2, 2004.

1. CKSMartin

CKSMartin Member

Has anyone experimented with using waterslide decals rather than self-adhesive labels for homemade DVDs?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Why would you want to?
    I print directly on my disk's with my Epson Photo 200R and I have used the stick on labels, but never even thought about waterslide decals I am not sure why you would want to try to use them where could there be an advantage? If anything I would think it would be worse to use those because you have to get them wet and then rub very hard on your fragile DVD to get them to stick any good. At least thats what I remember about those decals maybe they have changed?

V/R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One more thing who knows what those things would do once they get hot in your DVD player (and they will get hot) You may just end up with a bunch of plastic sticky stuff all wraped up in your DVD player ;-)

V/R,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Bbmayo, what kind of printables have you been using because I have had no success with printable branded Ritek Ridata G04's abd G05's. Here is the post I started in another forun. Thanks Steve G.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126328

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

yeah I saw your post I thought I responded to it? hmmm maybe not anyway I didnt have really good luck with either of those either I use these.
    http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-47gb-media.html
    They are Prodisc I have had nothing but perfect burn with these even better than RitekG04!! The best thing is you can print all the way to the middle and they are cheaper. Give a few a try you won't be disapointed I just ordered another 100 and I still have about 75 left I just don't want them to run out and then I can't find them again. Thats how much I like these disks..
    Good Luck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  6. antons

antons Member

I've had no problems with CloneDisk printables..

I'm using Canon i865, I've heard that the i965 has some fusking sensor that does not accept all media types and/or printing with about 2cm offsett on the disc's?

I realy recomend those ritek printables, the surface looks realy great and the results are very professional. The ink dries in seconds and leavs no smudges - unless you have wet fingers...

7. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I just ordered the 8x prodisc recommended by Bbmayo, I have had good luck with all my non-printables but the printables I have had all coasters after 10 burns. I am retrurning the ritek printables for now, here is my whole situation on why I returned them. Thanks again, Steve

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/126328

8. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

YO sjg1999xp

What is your DVD burner model and f/w ver. ????????

I read your post, and it turned out that you had problem with both Ritek and Prodisc printable media only.
    I used both brand Ritek and Prodisc and I had the same 100% success rate for both brands printable and none-printable (-R at 8X).....

My wild guess that you should update your f/w because the printable media just came out lately and the old burner f/w did not regconize it. :-(

Good luck.

9. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

It is weird, the printables (the 10 I did) play everywhere else but my dvd player but my dvd player is still playing all my non-printable and originals, could it be my dvd player. I don't think it is broken because it is still playing everything but my printables. Here is the burner that I have do I still need to update my firmware and how would I do that: lite on SOHW-832S DVD RW +/- and dual layer. Thanks Steve

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

11. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks I just updated the firmware for my burner, I was gonna do my dvd rom but can't find it, it is a sohd-167t. Would an upgrade of this dvd rom be necessary or don't worry about it since I can't find it anyway. Thanks Steve

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

13. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks but for some reason when I try to upgrade the firmware for my dvd rom, it gets stuck at 100% and stays there and I close out myself restart and it wasn't upgraded. With my burner it was fast and it said it was sucessful and I saw the changes. I shut everything down before I tried to upgrade my dvd rom, could I be doing something wrong or maybe it just taked a while, but I did wait about 10 minutes, any suggestions. Thanks again, Steve

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not sure what it could be, but as long as you updated your writer all shoud be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Have you tried your disks now that you updated your firmware?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

15. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Yes they still play on a few dvd players but most of the time get stuck in the middle, what else can I do? Thanks Steve

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Steve,
    How much memory do you have in your PC? If this is only happening at the middle of the disks it could be a resource problem. What I mean is your burner is slowing way down towards the middle because its buffer is getting full. This is just a guess of course but I don't really know how else to explain why your movies would be acting up only in the middle. What else is running on your PC while you are burning? Do you have Nero In-CD installed? If so get rid of it. Do you have Roxio installed? If so get rid of that too. Free up as much as you can by turning off Virus detection and ect... Then try a burn again. This time watch it burn and see what your buffer is up to. Let me know what it looks like...

Good Luck

A good way to make sure everything is of is to go into "msconfig" go to start up and click on disable all and then restart your computer. This will ensure you that nothing is running in the back ground while you burn.
    To go to msconfig just click on "start" "run" then type "msconfig" Hit enter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burners Nec 2500A
    Pioneer DVR 105

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  17. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks I am going to try this now but I have burned over 200 flawless dvd's with the ritek non printables and have had no problem. Thanks Steve G.

18. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

This is just too weird, I am now trying to burn on my printable prodisc's and I am able to play the movies on my ps2 and my pc that I burned but the burnt media jumps around and skips at the same parts of the movie as my riteks on my dvd player. My dvd player has no problem playing any of my 200 -r branded non-printables ritek ridtata that I made but ever since I am burning with these printables it is giving my dvd player a problem, any clue why. I also disabled all to make sure nothing was running before I burned these. I didn't change any settings and it is set to custom 4300 also. Another problem I am having is when i set it to burn at 4 x it is burning at 8 x, I updated my writer firmware but still unable to update my dvd rom, it goes to 100% then stops. Maybe I just need a more compatible dvd player but when burning at 8x I don't want to do even though the movies I burned at 8x are playing fine on my ps2 and dvd rom. Should I order some branded ritek ridata 4 x -r to try to pinpoint the problem.. The dvd player I am using is a cyber home progressive scan video which is 40.00 at Target. Should I get +r or any ideas of where to get a dvd player that won't cost me an arm and a leg, I am running out of ideas. I have an Intel 2.8 processor with 800 bus and 512 of DDR RAM with 90 gig of HD space. Thanks again all, Steve

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I think your problem is that your stand alone player dose not like x8.. This is comman for stand alone players you need to slow your burning speed down. What proggy are you using to burn the disk, and how do you set the speed for writing. I believe if you slow your burning down to x4 you will have no more problems.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I am using DVD Shrink but when I try to set it to 2x or 4 x it is buring at 8 x, any clue why this is happening or maybe should I uninstall and reinstall dvd Shrink or is there a setting that I am missing? I set the speed for writing where you select backup now.Thanks