1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

labels??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by moloo, Mar 22, 2005.

1. moloo

moloo Member

hi. im using ridata and ty media and i had a quick question about labels. i would like to label 7 discs but am not sure wether labels will cause the discs to overheat or spin to slow or something like that. im asking this because i've read some posts about this and didnt want to wreck these dvds. i know its probably better to buy a printer but im happy using a sharpie and like i said i only want to label these 7 special dvds. also is there a diffrence between cd and dvd labels and with this type of media im using is there a paticular brand of labels i should be buying or are all labels crap in general? please leave your comments as they will probably help me.

Thanks in advance.

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I perfer the "Sharpie" myself, but if you want to use a "stick on" label then do so. If it causes problems you can always remove it.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Save yourself the heartache and don't bother with the label's.

4. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Labels are a pain in the ass in the long run.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I have labels on all my backups and have no problems. Yes they can be a pain in the ass (printer alignment, putting them on the disc correctly) A sharpie is much easier.
    No playback problems even on discs made early last year.
    I use Fellowes (matte) which cost a little more but have a higher quality of paper. The cheaper quality does seem to bubble after awhile. You can get a starter labeling system with the applicator for about $20 (us). Be prepared to make a few bad ones. It may not be worth it for 7 dvd's but can always make another copy of the DVD's before you put the labels on in case you screw up.

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

If there is any doubt as what labels will do I am posting a couple of K Probe 2 scans. The disc in question is a Memorex RICOHJPNR01 that was burned in October 2003 with a TDK +R burner at 4X. I don't remember the model number of the burner. The first scan is with the label on and K Probe couldn't get past 85% before a servo error occured and shut it down. I then removed the label and ran K Probe again. The scan is now excellent. This was a Memorex label that was put on with an aplicator and was well centered. I hope these pictures work out OK because I've never done this before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  7. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

"A picture is worth a thousand words"....

Great illustration of how added weight can affect a DVD disc. Nice one, forkndave.