1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lables

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by slickflix, Feb 26, 2007.

1. slickflix

slickflix Member

Hey everyone. I'm looking to invest in some kind of DVD labeling for my DVD+Rs. Since I already have a decent burner, I'd prefer not to buy a lighsctribe, but I'm having trouble finding a quality alternative. I'd like to spend about 50$, no more than 100. All I really need is something to print Black Titles to my discs. Any suggestions?

2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Every time I have used labels on my discs, they would have trouble playing in certain DVD players. (Skipping, hopping frames...)

I think LightScribe is the best way to go.

3. designjah

designjah Member

You could try printable media. Epson makes pretty affordable printers that can print onto cds & dvds. I have had excellent results - hard to tell difference from original.

4. slickflix

slickflix Member

I was unaware of potential skipping problems with labeling DVDs. So far it sounds like I might have to buy a whole new printer or burner (lightscribe) all together. Shucks

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

fear not........ buying a new Epson photo sylus printer that prints DVDs.... mine is the R320 .... check my results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only use Taiyo Yuden printables. the printer was less than $125.00! I have burned over 1200 printables already and only on my third set of ink cartridges! Black is the most used ink... I think I'm on my 6th cartridge of black.... but I get them at Supermediastore.com or Meritline.com or other online stores when they have sales going on! Cheap enough. or........ just buy a sharpie for those silver disks..... that's even cheaper!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  6. slickflix

slickflix Member

Hot Damn Lables IHoe, Epson needs to put you on their payroll cause you just about have me sold! Your description of the photo sylus really hit all the bases

1. Affordable printer
    2. Reasonable ink usage
    3. Quality Results

Granted, my cheap ass will still probably print out black lables onto white discs (be keeping an eye out for those white Taiyo Yuden printables). But that's quite a package. I really wanted to avoid those manuel lables which I hear causes disc problems, as well as avoid buying a lightscribe because I hear those aren't worth the hassle. Thanks for the help pal.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

[​IMG]
    what's wrong with LightScribe? I love it..... only use the Verbatim LightScribe disks.

8. slickflix

slickflix Member

I've heard that lightscribe labels fade, take a while to apply, and have a limited availability of discs. Between an Epson and Lightscribe, which would you prefer? I'm just looking for simple labels.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I would go with the Epson printer........ but my drive does the LightScribe and burn all the disks that are out there~!

10. slickflix

slickflix Member

I'll probably go with the printer, I did already buy a new burner so I don't feel like buying a new one yet. Altho I did also recently buy a printer too. Christ, put me out of my misery

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well who's telling you to go out and buy!? If your things work then wait till you can afford what you want.... if you still want it...... just get a nice sharpie and write what you want on your DVDs! I did that for the first 2 yrs of my burning experience. But since I bought this computer (going on 2 yrs now) I have more than quadrupled my out put and went with the Epson printer when my old one took a crap and died. that's when to buy ..... when you need it.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i also have the R320 epson. here is a few of my prints... it does the best job i think...so glad i got this printer.

[​IMG]
    my favorites right here.
    [​IMG]

13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Cincy....... you're disks look like mine! Give them back to me!!!!! you stole my DVDs! LOL

14. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I've been looking for one of these DVD/CD printers, where can you pick them up? BestBuy? Do they make a special tray or anything so you could hold the printable DVD's in perfect position and run them through a standard printer(and out the back)? like a special tray or something?

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

only special printers will print onto Printable DVDs. not just any printer can print onto a DVD directly. the Epson R200-300 and above models have trays that keep the printable DVD in place and it sends it through the print to be printed! I have the R320 and so does CincyRob....and there are plenty of other members that have Epson printers and other printers that can do the DVDs as we have show in this thread. You can get them online or in the stores... just look for them. Google: DVD printing.

16. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I have looked and googled, Yes I could order one off the Net...but I hate paying Postage & Handling and waiting. I've looked at Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot. but the Kids(salespersons) just roll their eyes...I even sometime show them the darn Printable DVDs and ask if they carry the printers to print ON them...but no luck.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ive seen the R340 which is a step above the R320 which Ihoe and myself have, at office depot. they sell out pretty fast. so if you go there and dont see any just ask someone there and they can order you one in.. at least thats what the guy told me when i as looking before i got mine... office depot is about 20 buck more than other places but they do have them. i also think i saw some epsons at best buy too. not sure if they were the series that prints to disc though..

@IHOE.... those are your disc i just came over while you were snoozeing and borrowed a few...lol(oh yea your not loosing your mind i took a couple cold ones also. lol)

18. attar

attar Senior member

The Canon ip4300- and other ip models, if purchased anywhere outside the US, can print CD's.
    The US version has the cd tray path blocked off and does not come with the applicable drivers.
    The good news is that if you live near a Canadian city you can purchase the version which comes with the correct drivers and a tray or you can un-block the path, make your own tray and download the drivers and have a really neat cd printer.

19. slickflix

slickflix Member

I'm finding some great deals on the Epson R380, which I assume is a bit better than the 340. I might go with that come sumemrtime. I've been using sharpies for about 2 years, have burned about 200 DVDs.... but I'm disapointed with my collection. The sharpies look unproffesional, my films were burned on crappy media (Memorex), and I didn't properly reduce compression. So I'm planning to start my whole collection again properly. Use Taiyo Yuden discs, reduce comrpession, and print quality lables.

20. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

I've done more "homework" on the issue, and have personally chosen to go with the RX-580 "all-in-One"...I need the scanner, copier,fax....the epson site says the 380 and 200's are discontinued, but that all the R series are able to print direct to CD. Also, found a ebay store that carries the CD tray Adapter+Rollers for several of the Canon Line of Printers...which is nice news for anyone owning a Canon Printer.