1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAG HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by krufto, Dec 24, 2004.

1. krufto

krufto Guest

I have a 256mb ram 1ghz computer with a geforce 2 card and i have some issues with lagging in some games for instance doom 3. It works pretty good with 640 by 840 resolution and low quality but most of the time it lags. I was wondering if getting more ram would make more of a difference or if speed would make more of a difference. thx.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what ram on video card, what directx version running, what windows using & what is system resources free. what is system requirements for doom3

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  3. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Doom 3 is a killer in both areas. 256MB basically screws you and the Geforce 2 chipset just cannot play this game. My other computer has a 64MB Geforce 2 PCI w/ 512MB PC 2700 DDR on LOW settings and it stills lags to hell.

Plus, a 1GHz processor. Honestly, not to sound mean... but I'd be happy the game starts with that set up.

Doom 3 just doesn't seem to be good at picking your settigns automatically. You could try reading a few FAQs on manually configuring the graphic options through one of the .cfg files. For instance, Half Life 2 on that same computer actually runs pretty darn good. Doom 3 really doesn't pick out what's best for your computer very well.

4. krufto

krufto Guest

I just bought another 256 ram for it so ill see how it will work when i install it. As for my video card i dont see anything wrong with it i think that a 128mb geforce 2 has no problem with any game its the last thing that would be causing the lag.

5. krufto

krufto Guest

ok i tried to install the ram and i got a problem. When i opened it there were 2 memory cards in the slots and i only have 2 slots. The 2 slots had 2 128mb sdram each had 2 brand names but when i removed 1 and replaced it with the 256mb i bought and restarted the computer it hangs on the blue hp screen. Does any one have an idea on why it isnt working. thx.

6. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

did u get the right ram

what is it?

PC2700 === DDR
    PC2100 === DDR

PC133 === SD-RAM

make sure there identical in NUMBERS as the other ones on the board

reply back

7. krufto

krufto Guest

I got pc133 just like 1 of the 128ram cards that was in.

8. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

whats the Mhz on them both?

9. krufto

krufto Guest

First whats the mhz and which 2 the old ones?

10. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

on both

11. krufto

krufto Guest

ok if you mean the pc then the 2 old cards are toshiba sdram pc125-128mb and the other is infineon sdram pc133-128mb and the new one i bought is azenram pc133-256mb.

12. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

take out the old ones and put just the new one in and see what happens.... if it loads up perfect, but if it crashes get back into the BOIS and set optimized settings thats if you have Overclocked the system

tell me more about the errors

13. krufto

krufto Guest

I already tried mixing them in every way, the new 1 alone, the new one and an old one, everything but it doesnt work plus there are no errors it just goes to the blue hp startup screen and hangs there.

14. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

you said there were 2 slots correct?

if so but it slot #1
    if not put it in slot#2

15. krufto

krufto Guest

I tried that i tried every way possible.

16. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

the only thing is maybe they sold you a bad chip, but i doubt it...

17. krufto

krufto Guest

i bought it new brand at futureshop. Is it possible that its not compatible with my board or something?

18. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

yeah it might not be compatible see if you can return... where are you located?....

19. krufto

krufto Guest

im in canada. But if i take it back how do i know if 1 is compatible?

20. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

where in canada