1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lame version 3.95.1 vs 3.93.1 vs 3.90.3 - which one to use?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by randomID, Feb 26, 2004.

1. randomID

randomID Member

I noticed that there is a new Lame version out.

I currently use 3.93.1 and I'm about to encode a big batch of MP3s in 320 kbps, CBR highest quality settings .
    (if WAV files would have ID3 Tags, I wouldn't bother with all this)

Which version is preferable? Stable and tested?

I'm sort of surprised that the ExactAudioCopy Bundle v1.0 should include 3.90.3
    http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?t=24120&highlight=lame

What do you think I should use? Please let me know!!!

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

3.90.3 is mature. Extensive testing has been performed on this version (especially for --alt-preset standard and higher quality settings).
    3.93.1 shouldn't change much about quality theoretically, but isn't tested.
    3.95.1 is final and there are many quality-related changes. From the few serious tests that have been performed (at Hydrogenaudio) it seems like it performs slightly worse on pre-echo problem samples at --preset standard and higher, on other isolated problems like "fatboy" sample it's better. IMO it's impossible to draw an overall conclusion right now - besides that you're on the safe side with 3.90.3. :)

3. randomID

randomID Member

Thanks for your reply!

I've noticed that even the "--alt-preset" options will only use a Q setting of 2 or 3 with lame, instead of Q setting of 0.
    I've tested this with 93, and 95.

And what are "pre-echo problem"?
    I've searched the forums but found not matches...

So, I guess the recommended step for me to take is using the 3.90.3 instead of the .93.1 I've been using since now?

Thanks!

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

IIRC, during development/quality tuning (= 1000s of hours spent on listening tests) of the --alt-presets, usage of q2/3 gave best results. -q 0 is experimental and broken (see JohnV's post in this thread - 'takehiro' is a LAME developer BTW):
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=8452&hl=

With -q 1 there are similar issues AFAIK, but can't find any info about it quickly right now. If you want to know, do a search on hydrogenaudio yourself.

Pre-echo is smearing of transients, e.g. percussion with strong hits being less sharp.
    If you want to hear it yourself, check out the "castanets" sample from here:
    http://www.ff123.net/training/training.html

5. randomID

randomID Member

Wow. Thanks for the link. That really clears it up...

I guess I'll be using presets in Lame if I will continue using MP3s at all*, and the 3.90.3 version. Thanks!
    * (I might switch over to FLAC)

Hmm. I I'd be working on my damn paper if the server wouldn't have crashed again...

Have you had any experiences with Flac? I kow that I'll have a slight headache making my portable creative mp3 players (HDD based) play them.

RedChair Software seems to have thrown in "AudioMorph: Freedom of Format!" in their HDD packages. Eg. for the Nomad:
    http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/featjb.php
    Maybe they can read FLAC, and if not, I can ask them to add suppoort...

Thanks so much again! Now I definately know which version to use!

BK