1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lame??!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by redlight2, Oct 17, 2003.

1. redlight2

redlight2 Member

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering about this Lame encoder thing, as I hear it's pretty good at encoding to MP3. I have a specific need for it, and that is to perform a function on my server.

What I want to do is upload an MP3 file via http page (and have the upload restricted to 128kbps files only) onto my server space, for a music site I am creating for me and my mates. I then want the file copied and re-encoded to a lower bit rate automatically on the server, without me having to do anything but upload the original 128 kbps MP3.

I found a perl script at freshmeat that will re-encode using Lame, but don't understand a thing about Lame at all. Is there any easy way to put Lame on my server to perform the function set out above? Or is it all as complicated as it seems?! Any how do I copy the file before re-encoding in order to preserve the original uploaded file at 128 kbps?

If anyone has got any ideas about how to achieve the result I am looking for the I will be extatic, also if anyone could explain Lame to a simple musician with no server-side programming skills, more than extatic!!

And if anyone has already done this and can reveal all I will be stunned and will make a point of definitely remembering them in the next life, and probably the one after that as well.

PS. I want to re-encode for streaming purposes, via http.

Any help greatly appreciated! (as if you hadn't already got that part).

2. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Sounds possible.
    As long as the script can access lame (i.e. put Lame in same directory) and lame can access the output directory (i.e. save to directory on server that is accessible by HTTP), then this setup will work.
    If you already have the script to upload and run Lame, modify it to call Lame something like the following settings:
    lame -cbr -b [insert new bitrate here] original.mp3 output.mp3
    Good luck with it! Post again if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2003
  3. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Some thoughts:

1. For encoding to bitrates < 128kbps some fhg encoders are better than lame.

2. Does it have to be mp3? Most new formats sound noticably better than mp3, especially at bitrates < 128kbps.

3. Why do you want to re-encode instead of uploading at lower bitrate directly?

4. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Good points on 3/3 tigre, and I would add that mp3 is a little harder to stream over the 'net than say wma.