1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAN card driver won't install

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by david3483, Jan 20, 2007.

1. david3483

david3483 Member

I just got a LAN card. It came with software but when I try to install it XP can't find the driver even though it is on the CD. I have tried downloading drivers and installing them but again XP can't find it.

It is really annoying.

The card is REALTEK 8139 and the driver that comes with it is 8139D.

Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers,

David McKechan

2. david3483

david3483 Member

Just thinking....

I took out a 56k modem to make room for it. Would I need to uninstall a driver for the modedm?

3. david3483

david3483 Member

I took it out and put it back in. Now it says ethernet controller rather than just PCI device but it still won't install the driver even though i have the correct one.

Is there a way to do it manually without the wizard?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

uninstall the card in device manager & restart windows so it can load it's own driver.

5. david3483

david3483 Member

The driver wouldn't install. Windows refused to install one even though I pointed it directly to the location of the driver.

Then I fiddled around with the PCI slot and windows recognised the device and the driver but wouldn't install it! It said the 'data was invalid'.

I found the solution by doing a google search. Had to run regedit and change permissions for the PCI slot.

Right, now I have to get Fedora Core 6 to work with it and it's not playing fairly so far - should work straight away but doesn't :(