1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lan Problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jonbest, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jonbest

jonbest Member

Hi, I have a lan setup in the house that has both wired and wireless routers. Both pc's are connected to the wireless router (one is hard wired the other has a wireless network card) and they work fine on the internet and can both see each other in "Workgroup".

The problem is that when I want to browse the LAN on the wireless PC it often freezes especially when I right click on a file, I then get the message Not Responding in the task manager. Now on the PC that is hard wired to the router I do not have this problem, browsing the LAN is fine and transferring the files is all working fine. I just have the problem on the wireless PC.

This is very frustrating and I hope someone can help. :(

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Is the one going wireless a desktop or a Notebook. If a desktop check the drivers for the WIFI card. The Notebook should already have the correct drivers.

Check your even viewer for any Errors in System having to do with network. If there are any then double click them to see the problem.
    (assuming Win XP) Right click my computer\Manage\Event viewer\System.

Also try to power-cycle the router. Unplug for a couple of minutes then plug it back in.

-Del

3. jonbest

jonbest Member

Below is the error

ID 1002
    Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

The wireless pc is a desktop and has the latest network card drivers. I discovered today that the problem only occurs in one folder on the network. Its really strange. I can't recreate the problem in any other folder.

Its unfortunate that the folder in question is the one I really need.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok that error is nothing to worry about. Now you say it only happens with one folder. I'm guessing that folder is c:\Documents and settings\(user name). Look at the folder options on the computer it lives on. See if you have permission restrictions. If you are using XP and set up a user password and told it to hide your files then the other computer will not be able to go into those folders. Well unless you share them directly.

I'm trying to make this sound like english but it is not easy.

-Del

5. jonbest

jonbest Member

Thanks for the info but that is not the problem. The folder in question is just a folder that resides in My Documents and holds all of the applications (install exe's) that I use on my pc. I can access the folder and view the contents but as soon as I right click on any of them it freezes and stops responding.

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Let me try to get this straight. In all network folders, but this one, you can right clicks files and all is fine. Right clicking on any file only in the mentioned folder locks up the system.

This does not make any sense to me. If what I said above is correct then I need eyes on the system. I am realy interested in what the others are going to say.

-Del

7. jonbest

jonbest Member

I understand the confusion about this problem because I am just as confused.

I have been using networks for 5 or 6 years now and understand how to properly set them up. I also thought that access rights could possibly have been the problem so as well as sharing the My Documents folder that this folder resides in I also shared the folder itself (hope that makes sense). This made no difference though.

The only other info I can think to give you is that the folder in question is one of the larger files in My Documents.

I feel I should also point out that this only makes the network stop responding. It does not crash the whole system.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  8. eLeCTR0n

eLeCTR0n Regular member

Is the folder name very big? if yes try renaming it.
    This can also be a firewall problem, try disabling the firewalls on both computers (but not on the router) and see what happens.
    I also dont think this problem has anything to do with the network or or the fact that it's using a wireless card.
    I have seen something similar to this and the cause was some antispyware program running in the system tray. So try closing all the programs you are running even in the background and try again.

Try to give as much details as you can about the 2 PC's like what kind of OS and stuff as it will make a difference.
    Let us know what happens with you.

9. jonbest

jonbest Member

Ok I tried switching of the firewall on both pc's which Zonealarm pro. I already had windows firewall turned off. In addition I turned of the anti virus and spyware programs. None of this made any difference. I also tried renaming the folder and even remaking the folder but none of this worked. The file that has the problem also contains about 10 other folders in addition to the rest of the install programs I mentioned earlier.

Earlier today I found that if I right clicked on something and then waited 3 or 4 minutes it did eventually work but on all of the other files (excluding the problem folder) I get an instant response.

Here are the system specs that were requested:

Wireless PC

Windows XP with service pack 2 and all known updates
    Micro-Star International Co., ltd MS-6534 Motherboard
    Chipset..........Intel 845 + ICH2X
    Intel Pentium 4 GHz
    2x 512mb PC133 SDRAM (Unknown make bought from PC Nextday)
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5500
    ATA 55Gb Hard Drive WDC WD600AB-00CDB0
    ATAPI NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A
    ATAPI Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B

And now the Hard wired PC:

Windows XP with service pack 2 and all known updates
    ECS 661FX-M/Abit SG-72 Motherboard
    Chipset........SiS 661 + 964
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
    512mb PC2700 DDR-SDRAM Samsung
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
    ATA 111 Gb Samsung SP1203N
    ATAPI JLMS XJ-HD166S
    ATAPI LITE-ON LTR-52327S

BTW when you mentioned the anti spyware running in the background did you mean the processes that are found using task manager. If so I don't really know what all of them are so thought it best not to end them. I only closed down the programs from the system tray.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  10. LiNx88

LiNx88 Member

I was having a problem similair to this and to fix it, I had to actually type the
    network address (\\server\sharename) into the address bar, and it was very
    slow bringing up the folder (1-2 mins) for it to fully load.

Don't know if it'll help, but it helped me.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  11. jonbest

jonbest Member

Hi I have solved the problem. I just split up everything in the folder into 3 more organised folders. The folder in question wasn't really that big, about 1.38gb. But the amount of seperate files in it was around 30. Now I have 3 smaller folders with about 10 items in each there are no problems.

It is a strange problem, for example I had a seperate folder with 5 or 6 items in that were very big (the folder was about 10 gb) but it had no problems, it seems that the network couldn't work well with a folder containg around 30 items in a single folder.

Having said that everything was in a My Documents folder to start off with. Oh well at least its working now, hopefully this will help other people with a similar problem. Thanks everyone :)

12. eLeCTR0n

eLeCTR0n Regular member

Programs running in the system tray are running in the background.
    So, closing the system tray programs should of done it.
    But what I meant when i said close is to completely exit and quit the program not just disable it. I know many antivirus and firewall programs have a disable feature where they stop working but they are still running. You probably closed them but just to make sure.
    The other thing is that it works after a while so its just a speed issue so it makes it even harder to find what the problem is.
    How do you access that folder?
    Are there any folders that you have right now on the same computer that are bigger than this or as big and they dont have that problem?
    It looks like it just takes a long time to get all the folder's information.
    I am glad you already got it working tho. I wonder if put them back together if its gonna happen again.

13. derekj

derekj Member

I too am having a problem with my lan. it isn't exactly like the original threads problem but a difficult problem with an lan nonetheless. I am currently using windows 2000 pro and everything is working nice except my wireless connection. i bought a motorola wireless network adapter to use with my cable wireless router. the network adapter set up fine and the computer recognizes it as a connection but with any browser i use or anything that requires a connection refuses to acknowledge the lan. im not sure what is causing the problem, IE5 is no help at all with connecting to the lan and windows acts like nothing's wrong. anyone with any help or information please reply!!!