1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop as a camcorder monitor

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gr51003, Dec 21, 2005.

1. gr51003

gr51003 Guest

Is it possible to connect a laptop to a camcorder to be used as a monitor while recording? If so, can you suggest a means to accomplish this.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yes, you can as long as your cam outputs the DV over out during recording (my Sony does).
    Just have a capture program running while recording (you don't actually have to capture, it can just be paused).

3. gr51003

gr51003 Guest

Thank you for the advice. I hooked the camera(DCR-VX2000) up to the computer and was able to record directly to the laptop. I wasn't able to use the laptop as a monitor as windows moviemaker doesn't seem to have that option. Do you know of any programs which may allow me to accomplish this?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

5. gr51003

gr51003 Guest

Thank you again for the information. I downloaded winDV and it seems to work great. I appreciate your rapid response and I think this is exactly what I need.

6. gr51003

gr51003 Guest

Now that I have experimented with WinDV, I have discovered that I don't know how to get audio with video monitoring. When I play back the camcorder recording I only get video through the laptop. I can hear the audio on the camcorder but not the laptop. Is there a way to get both audio and video without having to capture to the laptop?

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Use a capturing module in a video editor that will also play the audio while connected. Or connect the headphones output from your cam to the microphone or line-in input on your laptop.

8. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

Hello everyone, its been a very long time since I last visited this wonderful site!

My personal advice for monitoring DV Camera on a laptop would be to use a professional software called DVrack, it has many excellent features designed to do exactlty what you are asking and much much more, it aslo reocrds straight to harddisk so you can edit right away without re-transfering taped material.

Here is the web link:

http://www.seriousmagic.com/dvrack.cfm

Though a little pricey it is well worth the money

Hope that Helps

Anhar Hussain Miah

9. bobcat564

bobcat564 Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Nice program. A feature that may interest some people is that it can also capture time and date code and put it directly as overlay on the video.