1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Battery/charging issue

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lmac222, Jun 8, 2014.

1. lmac222

lmac222 Regular member

Laptop is probably 3 yrs old

Recently ive seen that it will be plugged in and not charge. It will charge fora few minutes and then stop. So eventually I can get it to 100 percent if it stays plugged in. Says plugged it but not charging when i look at the battery. Sometimes maybe if i wiggle the chord a certain way it will charge for a lil bit.

So some testing:
    Going to my parents house, their power cord works fine and charges my laptop. So first thing i did was buy another power chord...no dice

2nd test. Since it wasnt the chord....maybe the actually battery itself inside the laptop. Bought a new one...no dice

3rd test. Today I took my new chord that i bought from test 1, and was able to charge her laptop completely.

So, having said all that, im at a loss for what i should do now. While the laptop is fine, it only will work if it stays plugged in obviously. It does not go down on % when plugged in. My guess is i screwed up the battery but plugging/unplugging in early days of the computer when it wasnt really needed.

Ideas?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

being your parents' power adapter works on your laptop & your power adapter works on their laptop, why not swap adapters? are you certain that new adapter is compatible with your laptop as may look the same & have same voltage\amperage as your old adapter but be wired differently? ran into that problem with a customer's dell laptop that had a broken connector on the power adapter. customer bought a new power adapter that appears to work except it would not charge the battery. i found out that the old adapter had 3 wires to laptop wereas the new adapter only had 2 wires to laptop. the 3rd wire was a sensor wire needed to see & charge the battery so i fixed the old adapter by replacing the connector so can now charge the battery. look at the bottom side of both adapters to see if there is a wiring diagram there & if so, compare the 2 wiring diagrams to see if same or different.

3. lmac222

lmac222 Regular member

great idea...never even thought about swapping out. But also will check out for any diagram.
    Thanks

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.