1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop can detect wireless networks but cant connect to wireless or LAN connections

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redhatman, Nov 16, 2011.

1. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Asus Laptop K60IJ running Windows 7 64....

Randomly started today, I can detect the normal wireless connections but it displays "limited or no connectivity" Also, cannot connect via ethernet cord.

I am on the internet now via smartphone USB tethering. My phone is connected to the same wireless access point that I have been using all school year.

Any ideas? I have tried updating drivers, windows restore, wireless LED is lit up on my notebook, different browsers... I dont get it. It detects the networks, but will not connect.

Any ideas? Thanks
    -Pat

2. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Anyone?

3. 321cba

321cba Member

try unplugging and replugging the power suppl to the router. im having the same issue with my PS3 and my laptops. we have about 8-10 different pc's and laptops connected and sometimes all i have to do is unplug and replug my routers power supply plug and Viola it works. hope this works for you.

4. APREx

APREx Member

Unplug power to both modem and router (leave unplugged)
    Shutdown your computer and take the battery out (wait about 3 minutes before putting battery in)
    Turn on computer open BIOS and reset to default settings, exit saving changes
    Let the computer restart and boot up normally
    Log back into Windows
    Plug back in your modem and then your router
    Wait about 2 minutes for everything to start working correctly
    Try connecting again

If that does not work
    Go to start and type in CMD
    Run CMD as and admin
    Type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
    Then type in ipconfig /release and press enter
    Then type in ipconfig /renew and press enter
    Close out of the command prompt
    Wait about 30 seconds so your router can assign an IP address to your system via DHCP
    Try connecting again

If both above fail
    Try updating your drivers for your network card and chipset

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

APREx, why are you telling redhatman to power down the "laptop" & disconnect the battery(presumably the cmos battery) for 3 minutes?

redhatman, router, modem or combo modem\router?

6. 321cba

321cba Member

have you tried my suggestion yet? has anything worked for you?

7. APREx

APREx Member

@ddp
    Usually when dealing with network problems it is normal to power-cycle the computer, modem, and router (if there is one). In order to completely power-cycle the computer - in this case a laptop. No power should be going to the laptop either by AC Adapter or rechargeable battery. When the battery is taken out and the power is not plugged - this will cause the computer to be completely off. A complete power-cycle usually fixes many problems.

To be clear you do not have to disconnect the CMOS battery - that would not be needed in this case. The only battery that should be disconnected is the large lithium rechargeable battery.

8. 321cba

321cba Member

i agree

9. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Okay guys I have tried everything. Drivers, rolling back, soooo much stuff. It seems like an endless fight. I bought it to our IT department here at the college and they got the lan working, but now the WLAN does not see any networks at all. Before it could see them, but would have "limited or no connectivity". Now, nothing.

He thought it was hardware, so I ordered a new Atheros Wireless card. Installed it, nothing changed. The computer sees the new hardware, installs, updates drivers and everything. But in network connections, no wireless shows up at all.

So, in a backup plan, since I have been able to tether wireless through my mytouch 4g android phone I figured I would just buy a usb wireless adapter and call it a day. I bought a realtek wireless b/g/n adapter, windows found it right away, installed the up to date driver (via ethernet connection) and now, not even the realtek wireless adapter works. I am stumped. Truly, I dont understand why not even this would work.

In network connections, the two wireless connections (mobo card and realtek), and lan all show up. All devices show to be "working properly" but still nothing shows up in wireless networks when scanning. windows diagnostics cant find anything. I really do not know what else to do.

Is there any chance that windows is setup to not be able to see any wireless connections? I dont get why my phones tether connection via usb would work, but not the wlan usb adapter?

....any more ideas? Thanks soo much
    -Pat

10. 321cba

321cba Member

maybe your router ssid is set to no broadcast.

11. APREx

APREx Member

Is it just your network at home or does it occur on all wireless networks?

Try this:
    Click start and type services.msc
    Right click and run as administrator
    Browse for the service name WLAN AutoConfig service (Wlansvc)
    Check if the service has started - if it has not START the service
    If it has already been started try stopping, starting, and restarting the service.
    After that go ahead and disable/enable your wireless adapter
    Then go ahead and try connecting to the network

Also try:
    http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...en&p=3&m=K60IJ&s=207&hashedid=n/a&os=&no=1773

Drivers are located (reset BIOS to default before you install drivers):
    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K60IJ&p=3&s=207
    Try installing Chipset driver, both LAN drivers, and under Wireless the Asus Wireless Switch (Wireless Console 3) Utility as well as the correct wireless LAN driver for your system.

Also try:
    Running safe mode with networking and see if you are able to connect to the network.
    You can usually do this by tapping F8 before Windows loads

Also try reinstalling TCP/IP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Use the Microsoft Fix It to do it automatically (Microsoft Fix it 50199)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  12. 321cba

321cba Member

@ APREx : good idea also. the service may not be running. i get that occasionally.

13. redhatman

redhatman Regular member

Got it fixed! Weird solution, dont know why it worked. Maybe you guys know?

I had both wireless connections enabled (realtek and asus wireless), I highlighted both of the connections and did "bridge connections".. after the 10 seconds of windows doing whatever it does, all of the sudden in my available networks, both wireless cards were showing all available wireless networks. I unplugged my realtek usb card, restarted my computer and ever since its all working!

Thanks for all of the help guys, much much appreciated!
    -Pat

14. APREx

APREx Member

Awesome discovery, would have never thought bridge connections would have worked.

Usually a network bridge connects to different types of networks together so you can share files, network devices, and internet connections

I guess bridging both wireless connections caused both wireless devices to share the available networks with one another causing it to start working - just a guess.

Definitely will take note of this.

15. 321cba

321cba Member

i would have disabled one or the other. should have worked but im happy for you. reagrds,
    Abdul Wahiyd Yahya

16. vidya1

vidya1 Member

it says nedia dc. wht do i do?