1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop...DVDR keep freezing

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Helfire, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Helfire

Helfire Member

Hey guys im having probs with DVDRs playing on my laptop after maybe 20mins the screen just freezes...and stops.

Anyone know whats causing this? Is it my CPU, DVD software (DVDXCopy), media etc.??? Would the fact that DVDs have been compressed?

Thanx for any help

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try some different media as well as slowing down your burn speed. I have had this happen with highly compressed video on B grade media. I know better now.

3. vike

vike Member

How old is your laptop? I know that after hit 2 yrs old it had a problem playing movies unless it was level. If the angle of the surface my laptop was on was too steep, no movie for me. Thought about buying new drive, but just got new laptop instead.

4. recondo

recondo Guest

I agree with fasfrank,I would say that its most likely the media and make probably burn at 4x or slower. I would also suggest looking into alternative software other than X Copy.

Good Luck!

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Helfire

More info would be helpful but I'm going with vike on this one. Your laptop might not have the resources or is incompatible with playing some media types burned DVD's.

6. Helfire

Helfire Member

Thanx guys...

My laptop is Sony Vaio and was only bought in around Septmeber of last year, im using DVDShrink now with CSS Region Free in the background.

The speed i was using on them was x4...but i'll try playing one in it again, its been a mouth or two since i used it to play dvds.

Could be the fact that most of my DVDs are Memorex DVD+r...but saying that i havent had a prob with memorex on any of my other players (PS2, Phillips and Alba)

Thanx again...

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Memorex media is on the do not use list at present time. Its because they buy the blanks from many different companies and put their name on it. Most of their blanks right now are manufactured by CMC Mag Co. which makes some of the cheapest/poor quality media around. You may get one batch of Memorex thats works great and then the next batch is junk. It just can't be trusted. Try some grade A Ritek or TY discs. That should help correct the problem.

Jerry

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  8. vike

vike Member

Your laptop should be able to play DVD's w/out a problem. Will it play original pressed dvds? Also, I agree w/Jerry, if your Media ID indicates CMC Mag, then you definitely need to change your media to TY. On the other hand, if it won't play store-bought originals you may have another problem.

9. recondo

recondo Guest

Yeah , If you can go to town ,rent a movie and it play o.K. your probably fine. Whatn are your PC Specs? If I was guessing I would Say Media (You must Have Good Media anhd burbn at a slowwwwwwer speed mabey somethig like Idunnno oh 4x or maybe even 2.4x so what if it takes a little longer big deal whatever!

10. Helfire

Helfire Member

Yeah ordinary DVDs work fine, personally i think its the Memorex media i used and/or the compression rate.

Not using Memorex anymore, using Ritek Silver prinable surface DVD-R x8 with 05 dye at the moment...havent really tried many of them out but them seem ok at the moment.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think you will find the Riteks are a good choice. Thats all I use these days.

Jerry