1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop gaming problem for layman

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by robfosert, Feb 28, 2007.

1. robfosert

robfosert Member

can someone please tell me why grand theft auto and certain other titles install, and start up ok, then flash and flicker on the gamescreen itself? they usually crash after a couple of minutes. is this a graphics card issue? i dont understand why they should install ok, but not play. i have managed to play collin mcrae 3, and simcity4 and hitman2. somebody please help! should i try runnin it through a vid cable into a tv?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. aDcleaner

aDcleaner Member

What are the system specs for the laptop and video card.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

4. robfosert

robfosert Member

Its an Intel Centrino Duocore
    T5200 @ 1.6ghz x2
    1014 RAM
    32 bit operating system

the video card is a Mobile intel 945GM express chipset family version 7.14.10.1114

geoforce go.
    is there a way of upgrading, if it is the problem.?

5. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Do you have Vista or XP. Your specs look ok, but games are tough.
    You need to hook up with some gamers for more info.
    Like these guys.
    Some suguest you need better Drivers.

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Some games are more graphically intense than others. Since GTA has more interactive creation than your other games your onboard vid card will crash and possible restart your system.

I don't understand what this is ---> "geoforce go" Its usually GO 7600 Nvidia (That's the latest graphics card) thats being thrown in high end gaming "consumer" notebooks.

7. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

go to start an go to run. type in dxdiag then a message will pop an click no. then on top click on the display. then post a pic or type out the specs under the device box thingy

8. robfosert

robfosert Member

its windows vista premium.. is the graphics card up for it?? the system requirements on the box are all well within my system spec. i just thought that if it says 32bit graphix, then it wil work...maybe the game is just too busy. so annoying, because im buying software that supposedly runs on my system, im getting in only to find out ive just wastedmy money... like i said it runs cllin mcrae 3 ok and thats a really fast paced game, so to me, this does not really make much sense

9. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

ahhh. now i see. you have vista running. there are rumors going around that vista laggs games or makes the performance crap. you should just wait till sp1 for vista comes out and that should fix it.

10. robfosert

robfosert Member

if thats correct, thats great. has anyone else come across this problem? and did windows ex etc. have the same sort of problem? I was told that vista was alot better, and a lot more versatile than its former, so i expected it to obviously be better.. obviously not!

11. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

win xp is better than vista right now. its only better because its not as buggy compared to vista and you can actually play games with out any problems. once microsoft releases service pack 1 for vista it should fix majority of the bugs and games should have good or better performance.