1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Hanging; Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by eiffel65, Jan 1, 2008.

1. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

In relation to this topic where I stated that my dad brought in two laptops for me to fix, I'm having problems with another one.

This time, this one has an OS, and I finally completed cleaning it out. Yay! But it's mysteriously hanging now. Boo.

I've ran all my cleaners and virus stuff, no dice.

I think there might be a rootkit, but I dunno.

Any suggestions?

Edit: One more thing, it's been trying to stop me from obtaining updates from Microsoft Update.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

3. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Ok, here goes..

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Reboot into safe mode. Run HJK. Do system scan only. Place check marks next to all the items listed below. Click, Fix Checked. Reboot normal. Check system operation. Then Reboot into safe mode, again. Run HJK. Post new log.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {59879FA4-4790-461c-A1CC-4EC4DE4CA483} - (no file)

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [tbon] C:\Program Files\TBONBin\tbon.exe /r

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\ViewBar.dll/CXTSEARCH.HTML

O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {2AB289AE-4B90-4281-B2AE-1F4BB034B647} - (no file)

5. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Ok it's still sluggish.

Here's the new log

6. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

These two returned. May take a few more steps to get rid of.

O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {2AB289AE-4B90-4281-B2AE-1F4BB034B647} - (no file)

Let's try this tool. Download, ComboFix.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134965

Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
    When finished, it will produce a report for you.
    Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  7. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I suppose I run these both in safemode?

8. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

9. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Mkay doc, here's my logs.

ComboFix:
    HijackThis:

10. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

HijackThis, usually removes BHO's with no problem. This one has came back twice!
    You have placed a check mark next to this for removal, right? There are still a few more removal tools we can try. However, If removal tools do not pull it out. We may have to start looking through the registry to locate and delete it.
    Take a look at this link. Let me know if this description fits your issue. When I Google, 59879FA4-4790-461c-A1CC-4EC4DE4CA483, this is what comes up.
    http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-1000171-en--Adware.RXToolbar.html

How's the PC running, so far? Are you getting popups? Is it still hanging?
    Let's try a few cleanup procedures to see if we can get it running a little better. Then we can go back to dealing with the last piece of adware.
    Run this program. Windows File Protection.
    Start>Run>type, sfc /scanonce
    Then Reboot. Program will takes about 15-20 minutes to run.
    Download and run this registry cleaner.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    You may have to run it a few times if the system is dirty.
    Run Disc Cleanup, and Disc Defragmenter.
    OK, do all this and get back to me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  11. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I'll need to check to see if I have this, RXToolbar. I'm pretty sure I saw that name before in Add or Remove Programs, but no, I haven't been getting any pop-ups, however it still has been running very sluggish though. I'll run them in a bit. Safemode still I presume?

Edit: I'm looking at IE right now, there's no RX bar.

Edit edit: Ok, I ran all those programs. It's speeding up a little but that's it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  12. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Yes, take a look around. Keep the link I sent, you may need it to locate it in the registry. Could be only part of this program left. Run all the suggested programs in normal mode. Should speed up your computer more than just a little? If not, there are problems elsewhere. Which we can check next time. What brand and model computer do you have? Noticed your running IE6 for a browser, you should upgrade to IE7, it's a tab browser like Mozilla Firefox. Here's the link for IE7. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  13. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I normally never use IE, my mother however loves IE6 and she doesn't wanna change to IE7 anytime soon, she thinks it's still in development (Believe me, it was my fault why she doesn't wanna change). But I'll take a look at it and might upgrade it on the laptop.

Anyways, for brand and model, I'll have to check for model but I know it's a Toshiba brand.

14. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Try IE7 out, download it, familiar yourself with it, show your mother how to work it. If she ends up not liking it, just go to add/remove programs and delete it. Do you know how to change your home page in Internet Properties? After IE7 loads, it will change the home page to MSN, you will need to good into Internet Properties and change it back.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  15. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Mkay I'll take your word for it.

16. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

17. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Mkay, so I switched to IE7 now.

But I think the virus is getting worse or it was just a typo 'cause my O key broke physically recently.

I started up Firefox and it re-directs me from Google to Netflix. Either this was a typo in my options or this virus changed my main page to "www.google.cm" although I'm pretty sure it was the broken key.

18. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

If you keyboard is broken, you should either try repairing it or replace it. As far as, what your talking about with starting firefox, I'm not sure what you may of done. If you want to keep firefox and you are having problems with it. Then uninstall and reinstall it. The new IE7 browser installation may of caused Firefox to malfunction. I'm not in front of your computer, so can only guess at what is taking place based on what your telling me. Reinstalling firefox should correct any error your having. I think before you go any future, you'd better get your keyboard working properly.

19. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Ya tell that to my dad who keeps super-gluing the keys back making the keyboard even more useless.

Anyways, the Firefox problem was fixed, it's not redirecting anymore. It was just a simple typo.

20. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Time for a review. We've clean and removed all but one BHO entry, so far. You where going to look for it and get back to me on your progress, after using the information I provided. What ever happened with that? Did you ever look for it?

We updated your IE browser. Did you run all the fixes I suggested? How's the computer running? Is it still sluggish? What brand and model computer? How old is it? How much RAM is installed? Go into task manager. How many processes are running. What percent of CPU power is being used?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008