1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Hanging; Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by eiffel65, Jan 1, 2008.

1. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Answers in bold chief.

2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Hey Chief,

Copy and pasted from my last email which has not been addressed. We've clean and removed all but one BHO entry, so far. You where going to look for it and get back to me on your progress, after using the information I provided. What ever happened with that? Did you ever look for it?

Did you perform all these fixes, yet? If not, why not, need assistance? Is there something you don't understand? I can walk you through the processes.

Run this program. Windows File Protection.
    Start>Run>type, sfc /scanonce
    Then Reboot. Program will takes about 15-20 minutes to run.
    Download and run this registry cleaner.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    You may have to run it a few times if the system is dirty.
    Run Disc Cleanup, and Disc Defragmenter.

Also, go into Task Manager, and tell me which processes are using the most CPU power. Need to know the Image Name/s. A CPU using 69% to 100% is not good! This is the main reason your computer is sluggish. For now, if the process is using more than 30 percent of the power shut it down by r/clicking on the Image Name and selecting END PROCESS. Do this after each boot. Until your CPU power is at less than 30%. In contrast, I'm currently using 4% CPU power. I have high speed Internet. What type of Internet connection do you have?

OK, do all this and then get back to me.

Quikdraw

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

The reason why I said some of it was because the File Protection thing wouldn't start up properly after I restarted. I've waited for around 40 minutes and still to no avail in safemode, however I ran it in regular mode and also restarted it in regular mode and it ran after 16 minutes, then I booted to safemode, ran CCleaner, Disk Cleanup, and the rest.

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

I just reviewed the sfc /scanonce, directions I gave you earlier, nothing there about booting into safe mode. Unless your doing this because the computer is running so poorly? The usual steps for running sfc/ scanonce is to type the command into the run box. Reboot the computer in normal boot mode. The program will start to run. Takes about fifteen minutes to complete. If it finds anything wrong, the program will prompt you. Using sfc /scannow, does not require a reboot to start. If your having problems with any process, stop and email me and I will help you through it. You need to explain what is happening each time. I'm not in front of your machine, so I can only go by what you are telling me. Do you have a system recovery partition, or do you use installation CD's? There appears to be a lot going wrong with your PC. You will need to look in Device Manager for driver conflicts, look in Computer Management/Event Viewer/Applications, and System for problems, look in system information/components/problem devices. See if anything is showing there. If you don't understand how to use these programs we can discuss it. I don't know you, so I don't know what level of computer skills you have.

5. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I can normally remove any virus with ease, but this one's a new one I've found out about and can't find anything on the internet.

Also: I just thought that I'd run it in safemode because most of the programs you've told me to run are ran in safemode.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  6. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Ok, Drawing guy, I ran the sfc /scannow thing and well, it now decides it wants the XP CD, which I don't have. Now what?

7. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

8. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Thanks, I'll check that out after I get out of school.

9. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Mkay now, I did all that, ran it, and now it's the same speed.

10. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

What did you do to get sfc /scannow working? Still never got an answer from you about Task manager?

11. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I did what the instructions told me. Regarding the XP CD, I had an extra from my main laptop and I just thought it'd work if I grabbed the file from there. Fortunately for me, it did. Unfortunately, speed hasn't increased, and it didn't find anything.

And what about Task Manager? You mean Device Manager?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  12. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

On Jan 6TH. I asked about Task Manager. This was to find out what processes where running that may be affecting the computer's speed.

Let's go back and work on removing the RXToolbar. Here's the link, just follow the directions. http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-040716-3445-99&tabid=3

As for,(sfc)System File Checker, it did repair some damaged files, this is why it asked for the installation CD. This check was performed, not to increase computer speed, but to repair any damaged files. Read about it here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193

Let me know what happens.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  13. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Oh. I didn't really see that before.

Anyways the only one that would be "hogging space" is this svchost.exe or something like that take up about 21,634 KB, and Firefox which takes about 23,644 KB.

And I'll complete the steps you showed me.

14. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Ok, I spent a lot of time reviewing this entire thread. It apears you have 43 startup programs! This is way too many! This is a large reason your computer is slow. We will need to research each program and decide what can be turned off in msconfig and what can be deleted from registry. Before we do all this we need to get rid of some programs you have installed. We can reinstall some of them later, once we have figured out which are causing problems. We need to clean out all the unnecessary BHO's and ACTIVEX add-ons. I'll explain how to do this next time.

First we need to start deleting programs, you can add some of them back later once the PC is running normal. Delete the following programs from Add/Remove programs:

1. Ad-Adware 2007
    2. Spybot: Search & Destroy
    3. Kazaa
    4. Firefox

Now run CCleaner, Disc cleanup, Disc Defragmenter.

There are more things to do, but we will do a little at a time.

How much RAM is installed?

15. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I never really installed Kazaa myself.. when I first got the laptop it came with it.

Also for RAM I have 256 MB installed.

And I'll get rid of those programs.

Edit: Ok, I removed Spybot and Ad-Aware, no speed-boosts. I'll get to Kazaa and Firefox.

Edit Edit: I deleted Firefox and Kazaa (Though it wasn't really uninstalled, it already was uninstalled but I just had to go into the tailends it left behind.), and there's some speed-up. Doing the CCleaner and those other tools now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  16. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

OK, let me know when you ready for the next step.
    256MB of RAM is really not enough. Should have at least 512MB. I use 1GB, on a four year old. Some of my applications pull as much as 580MB of RAM memeory. What is your computer model number? Need this info to check specs.

EDIT: To completely remove all parts of a program. Go to Start>My Computer>Search>All files and folder>All or part of a file. Type Firefox, run a scan and delete all entries. Make sure you are only deleting Firefox related entries. Start a new scan, do the same with each item your removing. Again, be careful not to uninstall any entry your not sure of! Just leave it.
    Next, you would go to Start>Run>Regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software. Look for Firefox, Mozilla. You'll have to expand some of the entries to find out the company names for Spybot and Ad-aware, I don't use them so I'm not sure of the names in the registry. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>software and delete the names there as well.

17. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

LOL I thought I told you already. It's a Toshiba Satellite M35-S320.

Edit: Finished running both CCleaner (It cleaned out about only 2 MB worth of stuff and didn't find any registry problems.) and Disk Clean-up. Defragmenter's running now.

I'm gonna go play with my 360 now but I'll keep checking on this thing, at the rate it's goin' it's taking forever.

18. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

In a nutshell, you don't have a fast computer. CPU is a low powered generic type. Not enough RAM installed, should have 512MB!!! Slow 4,200rpm Hard Drive. PC2700, is a slow memory speed. So, what I'm basically saying is don't expect any hugh changes in speed. However, getting rid of 2/3 of the startup programs you currently have loading will speed up your computer at start. Plus, all these programs are wasting memory, which your VERY low on. Finally, you have Dialup, which is a Memory hog!

19. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Dialup? What in the heck gave you that idea? I have cable internet.

BTW: My internet went down yesterday so I couldn't get it to you with the defragmenter. However speed change up a little bit.

But I guess we both could count this problem as "not enough RAM"?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  20. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Yes, having not enough RAM is surely part of your problem. Did you want to continue this after you've installed more RAM? You need to configure your startup programs. As stated earlier, 43 startups is too many. Need to cut that down to about 15 to 20. If your not sure how to do this, I can assist. Turn off Spybot's TeaTimer, it is a hugh resource hog!

Get back to me when your ready to continue.

Take care...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008