1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jmorris23, Jul 1, 2007.

1. jmorris23

jmorris23 Member

I have a HP laptop i'm having a wierd problem. It keeps restarting, it wont let me get to the desktop. Its a continuous loop. If i kept it on all day and didn't touch it, it would restart over and over again. I've read alot of forums i cant find a good solutio other than reformatting the OS. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

One of my customers had a similar problem. Only her computer kept on restarting due to huge spyware and virus problem. I cleaned out the HD and reinstalled the OS and everything was working fine.

If you have enough time before your laptop restarts try to back up your files and clean out your HD.

3. jmorris23

jmorris23 Member

thats the problem....i can't get into safe mode or anything. how do i back up the files if i can't get into windows at all? Do u think maybe its a hardware problem not a virus?

4. seb32

seb32 Regular member

The only way to find out if it is a hardware problem would be to reinstall the OS, then see if teh problem persists. Does it also restart if you're in safe mode? What if you went to some boot option screen and just left it there? If it still restarts, it might be something overheating.

5. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

-@seb32

But if he reinstalls his OS that'll erase all his files.

-@jmorris23

It could be a virus, but if you want to back up ur info, you can get a bootable mini os like Slax, and just transfer all ur data to an external device. Thats what I did.

6. seb32

seb32 Regular member

You can do a non-destructive recovery that keeps your files while replacing all the system files.

7. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

Thats true. But how is he going to do that?

8. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Am I missing something here?

You stick in the cd, and boot from it. Then, you agree to all the licence crap. Then you start recovery console off the CD, and choose "Non-Destructive Recovery".

9. Phil0391

Phil0391 Guest

Oh yea yea yea. Sry lol. I forgot about that option.

10. seb32

seb32 Regular member

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member