1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop router question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Lgilmour, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Lgilmour

Lgilmour Member

ok, just got a new laptop today, and i have connected it to my wireless 3com router, it connects to the 3com, and has great signal. but it wont let me on the internet?there is a red cross inbetween the line coming from the router to the internet, on a diagram? any ideas? ive tried fiddiling about with the firewall, but i dont think im blocking anything?

2. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

you can go into the network connections tab from control pannel and double click your wireless connection and select the status tab. are you getting an ip addy subnet mask and a default gateway if one of those isnt showing up try the repair button

3. Lgilmour

Lgilmour Member

they are showing up! its as if thre is something in the laptop or either router that aint letting me on the net!

4. steimy

steimy Active member

a few possibilities

1. if you have security set on your router and did not enter all that into your laptop connecvtion (SSID name and key for example)
    2. you need to go to your main PC connection and set it up for network sharing (connection sharing) for more than one device to use the internet.
    3. you need to run the wireless network wizard on both systems
    usually this is only needed when you want to set up a network between the two systems so that you not only have internet access but can also transfer files between the two systems.

5. Lgilmour

Lgilmour Member

how can i run the wireless network wizard on my laptop, if the router is connected with my pc? and yeah my broadband on my pc, is sharing with other connections etc, dunno wats going on!?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. Lgilmour

Lgilmour Member

ok guys think i know the problem, although dont know how to resolve it. ok as i mentioned the laptop can connect to the 3com with good signal and such but wont let me on the net. on my laptop i went to diagnose and repair. it came up with the problem :

"windows tried a repair but a prolbem still exists.
    cannot communicate with primary DNS server (192.168.1.1.)
    network diagnostics pinged the remotoe host but did not recieve a response."

then it gives me the option to - "reset the network adapter"wireless network connection" obviously i try this, but it just comes up with the same problem!

any ideas around this guys? the ip address im sure is my 3com.?

ta!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  7. Lgilmour

Lgilmour Member

anyone?