1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop screen is very dark

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by esorkered, Jul 8, 2007.

1. esorkered

esorkered Member

I have a gateway laptop that is just about 2.5 years old. Today my screen randomly decided to go very dark. In a bright light I can slightly make out the image. At first, the screen would slightly flicker slightly brighter, but still much darker than normal. Now it is just staying very dark. I assume it is a backlight problem, but I heard that it is too hard to change just the backlight. I read that it could also be a problem with the inverter. From what I understand replacing the screen or inverter are both easy jobs, and I would perfer to do it myself rather than take it to a shop. Any idea which one it probably is or what I could do to determine the exact problem? Thanks.

2. ThePom

ThePom Member

Possibly the CCFL tube or its inverter are broken. Id go inverter

If <fn> Screenchange or <fn> Contrast+ does not help, easier just to replace the screen when you start to mess around replacing inverters it can get tricky.

First I would check the lid switch and make sure it's not that sticking or similar.