1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop speakers not working, but headphones are.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Syphreal, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Syphreal

Syphreal Member

Hello,

I have been having a problem with my laptop for the past month or 2, and that is my laptop speakers are not working. I can only receive sound through the use of headphones or speakers plugged into the jacks. I have tried reinstalling drivers, but they never solved the problem.

When I look through 'Device Manager' the only problem I could find is that there is a yellow triangle next to my 'Base System Device', which is under 'Other Devices'. However, I do not know how to fix that problem as well - assuming my stereo problem and the 'Base System Device' is connected.

My laptop is an HP Dv2615us.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. Platosn22

Platosn22 Member

Go to Hp website and look under support and drivers. Input the product name for your laptop. Download the chipset drivers and try installing those and see if that makes a difference. If not, than if possible, back up all your data. Proceed with a complete system restore back to factory. If your speakers still arent working properly after this than you can rule out software and any other interference. This would be a definite hardware issue. If your skilled enough, you can find replacement speakers online and install new ones yourself. Do so at your own risk and if your out of warranty. Make sure you have the right tools though to proceed. I know that sounds extrme but I have been a technician for years and I found no other reference for bad speakers on your model. Not saying it couldnt have just not common. Hope this helps

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

It could also be a problem with the jack for your headphones. When the headphones are plugged in it disables the speakers.When you unplug the headphones the speakers should come back on.It may have bent the inside of the connector so it doesnt spring back to connect the speakers after the headphones are unplugged.This happens a lot if you wiggle the headphone connector when you unplug them. I can't post a link on his forum so you will have to look up Laptop Headphone Jack Repair. I hope this is of some help to you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. ddp

have you tried a system restore to before the problem?

6. Syphreal

Syphreal Member

Nope, I haven't tried a System Restore, since I have some files I did not back up. But since I have an Ext HDD, do you think I should?

I've never done a system restore myself, so could anyone give me a quick breakdown of how to perform the system restore and the process of it, please?

What sort of items would I need at the time? Ex: Operating system disc, etc..

7. ddp

system restore is not supposed to touch data just the programs installed after the restore date you are going for. it is in your system tools. do not create a system restore point but go to an earlier date that is a darker color then the other dates around it. the computer will to a restart on its on & will eventually say "hopefully" restore was complete not "incomplete".

8. Syphreal

Syphreal Member

My system restore does not go back far enough to the period prior to my loss of sound.

Any other ideas? :/

9. ddp

try reloading all the drivers, that should correct the problem.

10. Syphreal

Syphreal Member

A quick Google search has yielded the information that reloading drivers is something I can do through the use of my Operating System CD, right?

Sorry if I'm being a pain right now, with my minimal knowledge of computer hardware functioning. >.<

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  11. john1690

john1690 Regular member

were u find the yellow exclamation mark, delete it from there , restart your comp, if the explanation mark is still there , then it s most probebly the driver
    try looking . RUN and put in dxdiag ,it will tell u if the driver is installed or digital sighned
    hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011