1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop, use wired and wireless same time?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by 1nsan3, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

OK i have a file server that is on a hard line, and my wireless internet is a Virgin Mobile wireless device. ( wireless only )

i want to use my wireless to connect to the net, and the hard line to connect to my local network. but of course the hard line plugged in my wireless wont work. is there a way to have both working at the same time for 2 seperate networks.

2. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

I've not seen or heard of a connection that allows this from the same machine.

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Open a new thread instead of adding to the existing one?

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

should be simple.. just enable both connections .. You aren't being very clear on your configuration at all, but IF you are using one wire out and say a wireless dongle it's as easy as that.. with only 1 wire out and a switch to the wireless hardware and server the cheat is to widen your local network so your server sits within the "passband" .. read a few articles on networking and it will all become clear, including how to describe clearly how your hardware is configured so people can understand what you are trying to do exactly.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

PS355528---Heres an earlier thread that is nearly as enlightening
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-165/wired_and_wireless_networks-909101/

I've only taken a few basic networking classes at trade school, messing about with Cisco routers and switches, basic wiring blah blah. I'm nowhere near professional but the way i understand the original posters question is that they use a mobile hotspot to connect to the same data network as their cell phone service. The goal being to perhaps download directly from the wireless cell network to a folder on the wired private network.
    I thought windows machines didnt like being connected to 2 networks at the same time. It would be easy enough to set 2 different profiles, wired and wireless and switch between them but that really doesnt answer the question, just works around it.
    Any tricks i don't know about or am i overthinking things?

**edit** i think i smoke too much medication, couldnt this easily be managed by static naming the wired NIC IP addresses in the private network like 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 without a gateway? Connect the machines with cross-over cable not standard network patch.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

I'm at the novice level as well and far from amateur but I think you have it right. Wired and wireless working simultaneous on a Windows machine? Haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it. Still though, in case I'm at the back of the line on this subject, he really needs to give a lot more information. Exactly what's being used and the specs for each as it pertains to networking and the net.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011