1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop won't boot up! (Asus ROG G51J)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by drykul, May 16, 2013.

1. drykul

drykul Member

I have an Asus ROG G51J. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it until the dc jack somehow got shoved back and the charger couldn't make a connection to it anymore. I have taken many laptops/desktops apart in the past and this was a simple fix. All I did was bend the dc power jack back to the right spot. It now properly charges and all the lights come on when plugged in and when I press the power button, the lights come on there properly as well, also.

The lights all come on and the fan starts spinning but that's as much as it does now. The backlight doesn't come on, the display doesn't work, there are no POST beeps, nothing.

I've tried swapping out the RAM. To get rid of variables I unconnected everything except the RAM. No hard drive, no wi-fi adapter, nothing. I've plugged the VGA into an external monitor. Nothing I've tried has gotten it to do anything more. I have a multimeter but I'm not really sure how to trace the power flow on a motherboard to make sure that power is being supplied to all the proper areas. I'm not really sure what to do next. Any help please?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

power jack, on the motherboard or on a daughter card attached to the motherboard via a cable?

3. drykul

drykul Member

Don't actually have it all the way apart right now, but I'm pretty positive its attached via cable.

4. ddp

might have damaged daughter card when power jack pushed back then straightened out. had that happen with a customer's laptop in that the center pin of the power jack cracked part of the inner core of the daughter card so got 1 of ebay for about $12.

5. drykul

drykul Member

Would the voltages still read correctly on the output of the power jack if this were the case? Because I was able to trace the power from the input to the output of the power jack and the numbers were all correct. Couldn't figure out how to read the power flow after that point though.

6. ddp

remember that motherboards & most likely daughter cards are made up of multiple layers of copper traces sandwiched in between layers of fiberglass. to connect those layers of traces to 1 layer to another layer, they use copper barrels to connect those layers. with my customer, they broke the connection between power jack center pin barrel & 1 of those inner layer copper traces which is impossible to fix. maybe that happened with yours.

7. drykul

drykul Member

I appreciate the help. I'm going to try a couple other things first, then I'll try just buying a new dc power jack and seeing if that fixes the problem. Thanks!

8. ddp

no problem. post back the results.