1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Adjustment to fix read problems

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by chpkpkl, Oct 5, 2004.

1. chpkpkl

chpkpkl Member

I have just had a reply to a post of mine where saying that one can solve backup read problems by adjusting the lense in the PS2. Is this usual practice?

2. )v(3thuD

)v(3thuD Regular member

I had to do it, games that wern't booting using swapmagic DVD2.0 now do. I don't like the fact having to mess inside the PS2 but it really isn't hard at all, once all screws and top are removed just turn the white disk clockwise to adjust it, if you go all way around the lens will drop "don't worry tho", that way if you need to you can start from bottem up finding the sweet spot! i had to put mine alsmot all way up, on the white disk theres a tiny little hole, mine is pointing to the top now, before i think default it was pointing to the left.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  3. chpkpkl

chpkpkl Member

Hi,
    Thanks for all the info! Great explanation. I'll have a go at it. making a backup at the moment to test later on tonight using Alcahol 120%

4. )v(3thuD

)v(3thuD Regular member

Coo, hope that works man! Im using swapmagic DVD2.0 and Ritek g04 on a PS2v4, and would always get the red border around the insert disc screen, now they boot right up after adjusting laser, mabey others with same problem can give it a try and see if that it works. I think it depends on media, cuz another backup i made on a different media booted up always, even after adjusting laser it still boots right up, so im glad that when i wanna play that game on the other media "imation" that i don't have to go back in and adjust to where it was before to play it.

5. chpkpkl

chpkpkl Member

I'll try and let you know. How did you find out how to solve the problem?

6. )v(3thuD

)v(3thuD Regular member

Well originaly long time ago when trying to play original games, i would get the Disk Read Error, so i did a google search on it and found a site showing how to fix the problem, and they mentioned to try adjusting the lens or to clean it with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, i did the q-tip and rubbing alcohol and never have gotten the error since. So when my games wern't booting i almost gave up the g04 but i rememberd that site saying about adjusting the laser, and said to my self mabey the laser isn't strong enough to read this kind of brand if it's to low, also said to myself cant't hurt to try it, seem'd to be a possible fix so i tried it and what do ya know, game booted!

I duno if you want to put it to high, like the little tiny hole in the white disk not to put it past the top, i tried going almost to the very end, and swapmmagic wasn't booting and heard a wierd noise so i went back making the tiny hole facing top, on the white disk you should see a little block on the edge, once that reaches the left side passing a metal piece that makes the laser drop. I would say try putting it like i did and see if that helps, cuz going futher the swapmagic would not read, and heard a wierd noise inside, so i would make sure you have the tiny hole facing the top and the block on the edge wil be facing the right side. But you can try from bottem up possibly finding the spot to read the backup, i hope this works for anyone using "swapmagic or chip" not just me.