1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Eye Gets Jammed?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by ytclear, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ytclear

ytclear Member

When i try to play long dvds (backups or real dvds even movies, i was watching over a 2 hour movie and at the last 15 mins the laser got jammed) ( e.g. spiderman 2 or madden 2005). The laser eye seems to get stuck at the end of the disc it makes a jerking noise.

Does that meen the laser is dirty? Or that it is not calabrated right? How do i fix ?

Also when i try to eject it gets stuck halfway out ejecting.

Any help on this would be great

2. daPhoenix

daPhoenix Guest

You just need to re-greese the rails. That should fix the problem.

3. ytclear

ytclear Member

Regrease them? But it will read something not that big like a 2gig game is fine and will work. Would that effect it that much greasing them to not be able to play the end of a movie or a big game like madden?

4. daPhoenix

daPhoenix Guest

PS2 games and DVD movies read from the outside in. If this clicking only occurs on larger games that means that when the laser is sliding on the rails to the outer part of the disc it is getting stuck. More than likely because there is not enough greese on the rails. If you open your ps2 and take the top off of the laser you will see what I am talking about. Just spread some of the white grease all around and up and down the rails and that should fix your problem.

5. ytclear

ytclear Member

Just to clarify before i sound like an idiot. This white grease you are talking bout should i just like use the grease already in and spread it around more evenly or add more grease? If so what type of grease? Should i just add silicon? I use that to grease up my rods on my foosball table.

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Just to clarify, PS2 discs as well as DVD movies read inside-out otherwise backups would have a problem. Look at the footprint on a burned disc to verify this.

ytclear:

What version PS2 do you have? There is a known issue with older PS2's not playing DVD movies properly. The issue seems to be related to the disc being dual-layered which means oddly enough, if you make a backup of the movie to a single-layer disc it'll work properly. If you buy the Sony DVD remote it'll come with the updated DVD driver disc which will correct most but not all of the PS2's DVD movie playback problems.

7. daPhoenix

daPhoenix Guest

Did I say outside in? oops I meant inside out. Sorry about that. Thanks again Icemonkey for coming in and cleaning up after me!! lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] "From the ashes, comes the GamePhoenix......"[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2004
  8. ytclear

ytclear Member

It's a v7 with a flip top. Also it loads games very slow could this be a related issue?

9. daPhoenix

daPhoenix Guest

could be. Grease the rails and see what happens.