1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Fried After Modbo 4 + Laser Fix install

Discussion in 'PS2' started by fakeset, Sep 8, 2007.

1. fakeset

fakeset Member

The Mod - Modbo 4 in a v12 PS2 (slim)

Last night I installed a Modbo 4.0 in my V12 PS2 (the slim version). It also came with a laser diode fix so I installed that. When I power the system on the modchip logo came up and then the system booted normally. I was able to access all the setup menus and the background graphics all looked normal.

The Problem - Botched the Laser Fix Install

I got a disc read error at first so I tried a different disc and just got "No Data" after that. I checked the lens and it was definately hot. Not hot enough to burn me but way to hot for a lens. The lens is trashed (it's a white cloudy color).

The Question - Spend money on new laser unit?

Should I spend the money on a new laser unit and just leave the laser fix out completely? What will the laser lifespan be without the diode fix? It may be worth it to me just to replace the laser unit every few years.

EDIT
    I just found a thread saying that Modchips can fry the lens especially so with cheaper mod chips. Does anyone else have experience with the ModBo 4?
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. fakeset

fakeset Member

I found this on another forum in response to someone with a similar problem. He installed a matrix chip with no laser fix. Worked for three days and then wouldn't read discs.

I also may have found where I screwed up on the laser fix. There is a TINY (nearly hair sized) piece of solder shorting two connections. I'll post pictures and diagrams when I confirm what point it is.

Any other insight is very much appreciated. This is my first mod and everything seemed to go great accept this one (extremely important) detail. My plan now is to get the neo laser fix and a new laser unit as I've heard the laser fix that ships with the Modbo 4.0 and many other chips is inferior. It's just 8 diodes.

EDIT
    I can't find the neo laser fix anywhere now... if someone knows where to get one that would rock.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007