1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser issue

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by izzyecho, Jul 16, 2015.

1. izzyecho

izzyecho Newbie

Hi Folks,
    i have looked through for my issue but not got a result apart from replace laser.
    i am repairing my sons Xbox 360 S, open tray issue, stripped down the laser was not lighting up, ordered new laser (with solder removed) no joy. scraped between the 3 strips to ensure clear of solder, still no joy. assumed duff laser so ordered another, same issue ! so 3 lasers do not light up.
    the motor spins briefly on power up and the laser itself moves up and down there is just no light !
    this Xbox has never been modified or stripped down before, i have checked the ribbon and this looks fine.
    any ideas??? i don't wan't to keep buying lasers/ribbons/board if not the issue.
    any help appreciated
    thanks

2. richietea

richietea Regular member

Have you checked the cables running from the dvd to the mobo?
    Can you play a cd or movie dvd?
    Are you running with the dvd case open to see any laser activity?
    Look for any traces of burnout on the dvd pcb.
    You think you are buying "new" lasers but sometimes they are not or the ohms are too high/low from the factory.It might require you to do a pot tweak on one of the lasers to increase or decrease the power sent to the laser unit.It requires a multimeter,precision screwdriver and a steady hand.

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/61768-Disc-Read-problems-How-to-POT-Tweak-Xbox-360-DVD-Laser

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  3. izzyecho

izzyecho Newbie

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have the case open, the lasers do not light up at all, i get the short drive spin, the laser unit moves slightly on the arms and the laser itself does the short up and down (detecting ?) kind of movement.
    So no discs play at all.
    The DVD PCB looks fine.
    I have not checked the MOBO didn't want to strip down any further really, but will check this next.
    I don't have a multimeter either, i have the steady hand so will try this option last, i just thought 3 lasers can't be wrong could they?
    I am going to buy a new ribbon for laser/PCB as they are only cheap and can't hurt can it? though the one i have looks fine.
    Just a note before i strip down further, i had a spare drive for an xbox elite which had RROD and couldn't be fixed, i connected to test even though i knew i could not use it, the laser lit up fine when connected to the cabels, i just got the message on the screen to put disk into an Xbox to play or something like that, so would this suggest the MOBO etc are all fine???? this is why i thought def laser and went down the laser buying path lol.
    Many thanks for your assistance.
    x

4. richietea

richietea Regular member

It would suggest the mobo is fine with all the further checks you have done.If the laser from the rrod dvd drive unit is lighting up and is compatible it might be an idea to try it in the unit your trying to fix just to narrow down the laser issue.Your right to suggest buying 3 lasers and having all 3 defective is not strange.I myself have bought 2 lasers for one unit only because i was a muppet and pot tweaked OTT to play backup discs! Can you let the forum know what the dvd drive type is and the replacement laser/s model number are just in case they are different.

5. izzyecho

izzyecho Newbie

Hi
    Thanks for your help again, yes sadly they are completely different units ,and i am unable to swap over any of the bits, typical! lol.
    i have been a bit busy last few days so haven't had time to look again. but i will post back as soon as i have tried the other things you suggested.
    many thanks again.