1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laser replacement

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by wabashman, Aug 8, 2007.

1. wabashman

wabashman Active member

hey every,
    just a quick question here. im going to replace the laser in my 360, ms25 drive, and just wanted to make sure that one i need is the hd63 laser. all the ebay auctions say that it is compatible with the samsung drives, but i didnt want to buy it and it not work.

2. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

just curious, why do you need new laser? did you mess with POT settings?

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

haha good one....i dont even know how to mess with POT or what it does, lol. but i get a lot of dirty disc message with backups and origonal discs. and yes im using verbs, so i can rule that problem out; ive tried burning at 2.4 and 4x ruling out the speed in which they were burnt out. and i was doing some research on this issue and people stated that they replaced the laser and is solved the problem. another reason i think its the laser is because it makes an occasional 'grinding' noise when it loads a map, or part of the game, which was another problem the new laser solved for other people. but if you have any other ideas on how to solve the problem please let me know, other wise i will be replacing it.

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

sorry to bring up an old topic, but this one never did get answered....

5. Memnock

Memnock Active member

HD63 is the laser you want. It's pretty common for MS25 lasers to be wearing out at this point. I've experienced a couple that played retail fine games, but wound give various errors when playing burned games.

6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Pot = potentiometer. This regulates the resistance of current which goes to the laser. Lowering the resistance (pot) = more current to the laser = better reading.

Now, before you say "lower resistance = better reading... why not lower it all the way?", if you lower the pot too much, the laser will fry. There's a fine line between the resistance and reading.

There's two pot's for the laser. One's for cd and the other is for dvd. And I've seen a few guides around for adjusting the pot.

[​IMG]