1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laser stopped spinning

Discussion in 'PS2' started by barflyuk, Sep 2, 2004.

1. barflyuk

barflyuk Member

Hi,

I've had my V4 PAL UK PS2 chipped with a Matrix Infinity for about two months now. Most of the time I only play DVD-Rs on it, however occasionally I have a dvd-rip CDR which I bung in the drive. They're pretty noisy but they seem to get the job done bar some skipping etc.

Yesterday, however, Worms 3D (one of my dvd-rip backups) crashed. I reset the PS2 and from that moment the drive simply stopped working. Whenever I put a disc in it now spins it about 1/4 of a full turn and stops dead. In the PS2 browser it says 'reading disc' for a second or so but that just disappears and no media loads.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what I should do? My chip is still within its warranty period however is this to do with the chip or the laser? If the latter, what kind of problem is it?

I've been looking around some message boards and I'm thinking the fuse blew, the motor blew, the ribbon became disjointed or (worst case scenario) my laser is just completely buggered.

Can anyone help me shed some light on this? I'm not techy enough to fix any problems by soldering but I wouldn't mind opening up the PS2 if I new EXACTLY what I was looking for (which I don't really).

Many thanks!

--Martin

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  2. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

if the disc spins up for a few seconds, and you see the message "reading disc", and then it does nothing, no disc read error message just your mem card shows up in the browser, then your laser is dead, there's nothing you can do with it, other than check the ribbon cable hasn't come loose, if it hasn't then you will need to replace the laser.

3. barflyuk

barflyuk Member

Oh well... that kind of sucks. I've found someone to install my laser but I have to provide the laser myself.

Because I have a V4 PS2 am I restricted to a KHS-400B laser? And is that just exactly the same as the one I'm replacing?

I was hoping that I would be able to get a better laser to avoid a similar problem arising in the future. Is that not the case?

Also if anyone knows a good, cheap place to order PS2 lasers from please point me in their direction!

Cheers all

4. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

you can use a 400c I have

5. barflyuk

barflyuk Member

Hmmm... which would be better?

6. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

I'd use the 400c, my 400b couldn't read dvd-r movies but the 400c does.