1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laser strain

Discussion in 'PS2' started by riles1026, Nov 14, 2003.

1. riles1026

riles1026 Guest

I've seen a few posts now that says that playing dvd backups will strain the laser. I've also seen posts saying that it doesn't. Could the experts here please shed some light on this?

2. grechy

grechy Guest

I couldn't call myself an expert, but what I do know is that dvd backups do put a little more strain on your laser then an original disc. You'll notice this because of all the noises your laser will make when playing with backups.

High quality media though decreases the strain considerably, probably almost to a perfect extent.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Error correction.....

PS2 games are not created track by track, therefore the data does not go from track to track like a music cd for example....

The laser traverses (rapidly) to obtain the info from different areas of the disc, therefore it HAS to focus simultaneously (or near enough).....

Now if your laser is weak OR your media is crap.....then your laser HAS to work harder in order to maintain data rate transfers - more workload does mean strain, but I have yet to see anything conclusive to prove it....but the theory would add up to 'laser strain'......

But I would not let it phase you.....I have had a PS2 for 3 years now and fitted a magic last year and it is still going strong.......

The only REAL test is to have 2 new PS2's side by side with an original in one and a backup in the other and hammer the shit out of them.....but you would need to be out of work, have no social life and have 2 pairs of hands/eyes/ears.......LOL