1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laserdisk to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by dkland, Jan 19, 2004.

1. dkland

dkland Member

I need some help in transfering some of my laserdisks to DVD. My existing equipment is as follows:
    WinXP Home, 2 gz Pentium IV with 700+meg ram, 80- gig hard drive with 60 gig free and 30 gig hard drive with 20 gig free. Video card is nVidia G4Ti4600-VTD with video in connector (S video and C video in), SoundBaster Live! sound card. DVD burner is a Polaroid Model DVDRWIDE 1004 that works fine with 321's DVDCopy Express (for DVD's).

I would like to get a 2 hour or so movie on one DVD. I have Roxio DVD/CD creator 6 and I can capture using DVD builder (within creator 6), but a 2 hour capture produces an MPG2 video file of about 6 gig (using 720 x 480 NTSC DVD compliant setting). Is there some method to reduce the size of this file to where I can get it on one DVD? Say about 4.3 gig?

Roxio does not seem to compress at all and I always get a message that the file is too big. Is there a compression program that will allow me to reduce the file size without too great a quality loss? I thought that DVDshrink might be used, but posting on another AfterDawn forum I got the answer that it will only work from a DVD to start with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Depending on the Capture Program you are useing you should be able to choose the Bitrate that you capture to..The Capture Program you are useing Is a Really Low Quality capture program so it Probably uses the Highest Bitare it can so it can achieve some sort of Quality ..With a Good mpeg Capture program you can use a Much Lower Bitrate and still Got OK Quality, If you can gat ahold of "WinDVR 3.0" then with it you can set the Bitrate to what you need so it fits on a DVD-R, a 2 Hour movie would fit on a DVD with a Bitate of about 4700kbs for the Video and 384kbs for the audio..WinDVR is the Best Mpeg Capture program I have Used and I own literally dozzens of them...Another option could be to Capture your Movie to a Low Compression AVI format and then use a High Quality mpeg encoder to encode the File to Mpeg2 for DVD ,This Option Produces better Quality but you need a Lot of disk space and a very fast drive....Good Luck