1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

launch elf trouble

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bananaboy, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

i am having trouble understanding how to run ELF files.

i believe i need some kind of program called LaunchElf on my ps2 hdd to run Elf files. but i was wondering how can i get the Launch Elf files on my hdd using only blank discs, hd loader, and swap magic disc with the slide card. i have the ELF files i want to run on my ps2, but i just need a way to get them on the ps2.

can i winhiip files over? or... do i HAVE to buy more accesories?

2. Brian23

Brian23 Guest

You should have everything you need. You didn't mention a memory card, but just about everyone has one and if you don't you really should get one. Just make a CD with with 4 files and 1 folder on it:

System.cfg
    LAUNCH.ELF
    DUMMY.DAT
    SWAPMAGIC\SMBOOT0.ELF

You can get the System file and the Dummy file from your HD loader disk. SMBOOT0.ELF is the same file as LAUNCHELF.ELF. It's just renamed. Put SMBOOT0.ELF in the SWAPMAGIC directory. Be careful about capitalization! It matters. (I think.) Make sure you edit your hdloader system file to point to LAUNCH.ELF instead of hdloader.

OK, after you make your LAUNCH.ELF CD, then Insert your Swap Magic disk, and when it boots, use the slide trick or flip top to switch it for your LAUNCH.ELF cd. it should boot up to a screen with a little bit of text on it. Hit select on the joypad and then use LAUNCH.ELF to copy the SWAPMAGIC folder to your memory card in the first slot.

Ok now launch elf is installed on your memory card. You can turn the PS2 off now.

To run launch elf after install:
    Insert Swap Magic Disk and boot it with your hacked memory card in slot 1. When the Video mode display comes up where you would normally swap disks at, press up arrow and L1. It should start Launch ELF instead of booting the disk in the drive. Now you can configure launch elf to load whatever programs you want with keys and copy it to your hard drive or whatever.

3. bananaboy

bananaboy Member

i have been having trouble making this disc.

i put the following files into a cd

DUMMY.DAT
    LAUNCH.ELF
    SYSTEM
    SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT0.ELF(launch.elf renamed)

the SYSTEM file has the following when opened in notepad

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\LAUNCH.ELF;1
    VER = 1.00
    VMODE = NTSC

what am i doing wrong?

4. Brian23

Brian23 Guest

When you install it, make sure you use the swap magic CD disk if you're installing it from a CD. If you're using a DVD, then use the Swap Magic DVD disk.

You can't just boot the CD you burn unless you have a modchip. Insert Swap Magic disk. Power PS2 on, when prompted, use slide trick or flip top to switch the swap magic disk for your burned disk. Press X. Launch elf loads.

Oh also, you CANNOT burn a swap magic disk. Some people download them and burn them and are confused when they don't work. A swap magic disk is a special disk that was specially made in a special manufacturing process to allow the booting of backups and custom disks like elf launcher. You need to BUY a swap magic disk.

Your system file looks right, I don't see any reason why you would have trouble with the disk if you made it the way I specified. If you want, I can post my Launch ELF ISO file to the internet and email you the link.

Good luck!

5. Brian23

Brian23 Guest

I just noticed it's against the rules to post email addresses, so send me your email in a private message if you want the ISO.