1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAYER BREAK

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by ZEDDMAN, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ZEDDMAN

ZEDDMAN Member

HI.HAD A GO AT D/LAYER AND LOST A CHAPTER AT THE LAYER BREAK.USED DVDSHRINK TO READ IN THE ORIGANAL FILM AT 7.9 Gbs AND NERO TO WRITE IT OUT.AS THIS WAS A TEST I WONDERED IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS AS THE D/LAYERS AINT THAT CHEAP YET TO KEEP TRYING..

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

ZEDDMAN,
    Welcome to the forum. If I am doing a D/L I use DVDDecrypter>read> DVDDecrypter> write
    And yes D/L is expensive
    p.s. Don't use Caps

3. Bruce999

Bruce999 Regular member

I agree completely with the above reply, but would add the following clarifications...

IF you are trying to do a straight one-to-one backup of a DVD, and you wish to go from a dual layer commercial disc to a dual layer blank DVD+R, and you do not need to do any editing, re-authoring, etc., then DVDDecrypter is the "safe" way to go.

A few cautions, though...
    1) Make absultely certain you are using the latest version of DVDDecrypter. If you go two versions back (Sept. of 2004), it will not work properly.

2) In DVDDecrypter, you need to make certain you are ripping an image, and then writing that image. To do this, you go to the Mode menu, and choose "ISO READ." Then, rip it to your hard drive.

Next, you go back to the Mode menu, and choose "ISO WRITE." You then navigate to the file with the ".MDS" extension. Then, burn back to your blank DVD dual layer.

Nero has caused lots of dual-layer headaches, because it has several options for the layer change. You can choose to try to specify where the layer break should occur (but you have to know what you are doing). You can also let Nero place it (but if the wrong option is checked on the option I just mentioned, you can actually end up with two layer breaks -- OUCH!) Nero can be used, but I recommend you do a lot of careful reading before you try it, or plan on some coasters.

I have used the DVDDecrypter method I outlined above for 20 successful burns, now, and I have tested these in several DVD players in my house (I own six). It is the safest, most reliable method, unless you need to do some editing or re-authoring.

-Bruce

4. ZEDDMAN

ZEDDMAN Member

Car.Mike and Bruce 999.
    Many thanks for the guiding suggestions,I will give it another go soon and let you know.It seems daft to spend all that money on a D/L and just use one film on it as DvDShrink does a good job of compression to 4.5Gb which are about 50pence each.
    Mabee get some experience on muti titleing DvD9 s.Being its all for my own use to keep the originals new, and lern at the same time.
    Cheers, and thanks again.