1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layer switch problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nrawson, Jan 22, 2004.

1. nrawson

nrawson Guest

I have been copying DVD's for about 3 months. I have a region 2 DVD that has me stumped. I have tried DVD Decrypter, SmartRipper, and DVD Shrink. All get stuck at the layer switch point. I tried telling DVD Decrypter to ignore errors, but the ripped vob file is garbage from that point on.

The DVD has a momentary freeze at that point when played on my standalone player, but PowerDVD bombs if I play it on my computer. I have replaced the DVD, and complained to the manufacturer that it wouldn't play on my computer. He agrees the pause is there, but there is nothing to be done about it.

Is there any ripping software that can handle this problem?

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

try using decrypter in file mode and rip the individual files--i.e. do vts_01.vob then vts_02.vob, etc. maybe the layer switch is between the vob's also and you can get accurate vobs that way.

I have done this with other discs that I have had specific vob issues and gotten away with it.

I hope that this helps.

3. nrawson

nrawson Guest

I had to use file mode since it's a DVD9.

4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

yes but rip the individual files separately.

5. nrawson

nrawson Guest

I skipped that file when I had the problem, then tried to rip only that file later. It didn't help.

It is an eposodic DVD, Coupling season 3, and the problem is right in the middle of episode 4.