1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layer switch problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nrawson, Jan 22, 2004.

1. nrawson

nrawson Guest

I have been copying DVD's for about 3 months. I have a region 2 DVD that has me stumped. I have tried DVD Decrypter, SmartRipper, and DVD Shrink. All get stuck at the layer switch point. I tried telling DVD Decrypter to ignore errors, but the ripped vob file is garbage from that point on.

I posted this in the newbie's forum first and had no luck.

The DVD has a momentary freeze at that point when played on my standalone player, but PowerDVD bombs if I play it on my computer. I have replaced the DVD, and complained to the manufacturer that it wouldn't play on my computer. He agrees the pause is there, but there is nothing to be done about it.

I ripped in file mode, and skipped that file when I had the problem, then tried to rip only that file later. It didn't help.

It is an eposodic DVD, Coupling season 3, and the problem is right in the middle of episode 4.

Is there any ripping software that can handle this problem?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Shrink 3.1.3: Edit> Preferences> Output Files> Check the box to Remove Layer Break.

3. nrawson

nrawson Guest

I just now tried it. About half way through analysis I get the error,

dvd shrink encountered an error and cannot continue
    data error (cyclic redundance check).

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Norm[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2004
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

A cyclic redundancy error almost always means dirt or damage on your source disc. Give it a careful inspection and a through cleaning.
    Try an Afterdawn search for "cyclic redundancy" and you will see what I'm talking about.

5. nrawson

nrawson Guest

The disc is new, and when I originally had problems I tried cleaning the disc. I mentioned that I replaced the disc. Amazon UK allowed me to keep both discs. The problem is on both discs.

When played on a stand-alone player there is a 1/2 second freeze at the problem area. On my both of computers PowerDVD cannot continue when it reaches that spot.

I believe that there is an error in VCI's manufacturing process.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I agree. If both discs are new and PowerDVD encounters the problem in the same location, then VCI did a poor job of creating this movie.
    321 Studios has a product that might help, take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.321studios.com/press/10.10.2003.htm

Frank

7. nrawson

nrawson Guest

It might very well fix the problem, but I'm too cheap to spend $50 to fix a $17 DVD. I bought my first DVD's 3 months ago, so they're all new, and since I'm the only one that handles them, I can expect them to remain in good condition.

Unless another idea is posted, I guess I'll just give up on this one.

Thanks for your help.

8. malum

malum Regular member

look on the bright side, Amazon gave you a backup so you don't have to make one youself.

What is it anyway?

9. nrawson

nrawson Guest

Coupling season 3 disc 1.

10. malum

malum Regular member

Hey I love that program.