1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layout improvements at AfterDawn.com

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by cheezy_P, Aug 30, 2006.

1. silver95

silver95 Regular member

Much as I hate to say it.. with adblock+ and Filterset.G enabled, I'm stuck with a big, ugly, almost 6-inch space at the top, with nothing but the AfterDawn logo and a couple links just floating there. I know the site is run by ads, as all other sites are, but I'm sure some of the issues might be able to be easily resolved by not using things like "ad" in a file/directory or stylesheet/script name.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

a simpler fix would be for the guys that update the filterset to simply remove the AD image server from their default filtered listings...i mean, ads aren't even served from there. it's BS and incredibly stupid on the filter updaters' part.

3. 21Q

21Q Regular member

hey, i was just curious, what language is ad written in, (for noobs I mean computer language) Java or what

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  4. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

SWEET! HUGE tabs though. And the black bar could be another color! I think the main site is cold fusion (.cfm), thats macromedia's (i dont like saying Adobe) soloution for dynamic pages.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

It took a day or 2 to get used to it, but I think it looks great. I can tell many hours went into it, simply for the fact that there are so many different languages or computer codes that its hard to get things bug free.
    Those hours are appreciated.

6. 21Q

21Q Regular member

it's impossible to bug free, when one bug is fixed it causes another problem, and so on an so forth, until some can creat a machine language that si different from now, bug will always be in our lives.

7. Ankoku

Ankoku Member

"Much as I hate to say it.. with adblock+ and Filterset.G enabled, I'm stuck with a big, ugly, almost 6-inch space at the top, with nothing but the AfterDawn logo and a couple links just floating there. I know the site is run by ads, as all other sites are, but I'm sure some of the issues might be able to be easily resolved by not using things like "ad" in a file/directory or stylesheet/script name."

Has anybody found a fix to this, I used IE to see the new page, and it looks awesome, but AD just ain't the same on Firefox.

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you have to either uninstall the filterset or deal with the castrated top.

9. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

speaking of AD blocking,I ahd a Ad blocker that could block and remove all ads from msot sites made AD and gamespot seem CLEAN but I forgot what ti was cant recall if it was zone alrm or a Firefox exstention ><

10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

21Q: The site is programmed using a language called CFML (aka ColdFusion Markup Language), pretty much equivalent to PHP is many aspects, although the code looks quite different. We used to use Adobe's Coldfusion as our application server, but switched to an another CFML-compatible server product, called BlueDragon about 2 years ago. BlueDragon is also used by sites such as MySpace.

The reasoning why we use CFML and not, say PHP or JSP, is that I've worked as a CF developer ever since 1998, so I'm quite familiar with the language..

11. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Adjusting to the new layout isn't working for me. It feels incomplete...

- Guess I should have read this first but, it took me about 10 minutes to find the "My Account" link.

The tabs stick out worse than any other graphical change. For example:

- Why, when I am on a page, is tab is green? There isn't any other graphics on the page of the color green.

- The tabs are round(and green) but, the page is square and the colors do [bold]not[/bold] match.

I hope there are plans to finish the rest of the page. Are there?

- I like the wider page.

- Like the experimenting with colored text. Also, I'm glad for this. :D Both, the link and the parsing improvement.

- Guess you could say I like all the BBML/UBB parsing improvements.

Edit: corrections.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  12. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

I think the new style looks good, keep up the great work!

13. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

dRD
    mod and site dev...ggaa they are working you to death 0_o
    *L*
    I tried to send ya a PM,can you PM any mod? jsut if you have a qaetion you would rather not have noobs swarm around and such.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- so you thought you'd be better off posting in the bosses' thread ?

15. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Creaky
    *jepardy music plays for 2 min then a large echoing hommer DOH can be heard*

oops LOL
    I tried going to the news comment forum and to remove half the post and well its not there 0-o the Layout improvements at AfterDawn.com thread so i can reword my post 0_o

Creaky
    thanks givieng me the link ^^
    if you dont mind I thought I might post it here,so anyone can edit there psots to,least untill the link on the news commnet thread is fixed.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/387825

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  16. billybob

billybob Regular member

Lmao. You never cease to make me laugh.

Looks good, more modern. I miss the old one, but theres nothing im gonna do about it. Also, i dont visit the site to see how prettyful it looks, i come cause im addicted to you peeps! Lol.

17. 21Q

21Q Regular member

thanks drd, just wondering, I'm learning programing (finally), it's about the only thing I don't know about computers

18. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Most of time these days change is bad because changes are made to mask problems or what not but Imust say GOOD JOB! AD obviouly some people will be upset at first but once they get used to it they will hopefully like it.

Cudooos....

19. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

the changes are god I ahve seen far worse soem sites go from nice simple layouts to over the top crap where you cant find your way.

in all it needs tweaking but keep on it ^^

20. antomic

antomic Regular member

wow!!! :) they really do listen to me!