1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lcd or Plasma ???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by clemo, Jan 27, 2007.

1. m4p

m4p Member

Thanks, Toobokoo. I went to BB this morning to check out the Pioneer and the Sharp. Garmoon, you're right, it's very difficult to tell anything watching their feed, and of course they won't let you play around with the settings. One thing about the Pioneer, I downloaded the user manual and it tells you after watching a 4:3 show that you should then watch a 16:9 format show to avoid burn in. I can say that realistically, we're not going to do that. I mean I don't want to have to baby a tv that much, I guess. So I think we're probably end up going with LCD.

2. clemo

clemo Member

hi guyz

seeing i started this thread i wanted to do a follow up ive also decided on a lcd tv which is Samsung LE40R74BDX LCD Television i visited my local appliance shop and there were about 30 different tv's all in rows from plasma's and lcd's and this tv certainly stood out from the rest the colour's were very vibrant and the blacks and whites are nice, the contrast ratio is 5000:1 i was told by a tv expert that this burn issue is quite rare now as the technology has moved on loads since plasma's first came out onto the market, where it might happen is if you watch a certain tv channel where there is a logo in the corners of the screen but you would have to be watching that channel constantly for days and days for it to burn the screen, anyway thats my choice as i liked the features of this samsung tv

thanks to all for the replies

3. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

@m4p
    Do you mean the feed settings or the T.V. settings? If the t.v. settings i'd have walked out right there and then. Before I bought my set, I lurked in BB and CC literally for hours. I was in and out of those stores several times. I stood and stared at the sets, changed all the settings I wanted and no one ever said anything negative to me. The sales rep even changed the channel on the satellite feed for me to sports and other HD channels. The only thing I couldn't do was bring in my own DVD to check the set with a picture I was familiar with. They seemed to be very accomodating otherwise.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah but since they don't have access to cable, you can't ever see what it's going to look like in your house that has cable and not a satellite feed. They don't even have a pair of rabbit ears to catch an air HD signal from a local channel to show itor actually how to tune to say channel 2.1. They tend to hide a lot of issues or just not bother. Of course you can go to some of the Home grown stores and they are usually much more knowledgeable, but the trade off is the price is sky high.

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

My understanding is that generally the feeds at the big brick and mortar stores are split several times to provide signal to all of the sets so the feeds are not the greatest anyway. If it looks good in the store, i'd bet it would look better at home with a clean signal. BTW, most of the stores will have at least a few sets hooked up to a HD BR or DVD player for a clean signal.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. ahhhhhhh

ahhhhhhh Guest

i just wrote a essay then deleted it here is the short version

buy s samsung lcd, top make top components will last ages amazing picture (xbox 360 mmmmmmm) also it dont have the extra 6" either side of the screen for speakers ( that looks so unstylish )

sony or panasonic too you cant go wrong
    plasma does not give me confidence in parting with a grand also my tv has sky sports news on alot and i dont want it on there even when i got another channel on!!!

7. danmax

danmax Member

Plasma's will last any where from 4 to 6 years, LCD's a bit longer. I plan on going to DLP projection, I still have my 1996 (march) Magnivox 55" so I'm going to stick with something I dont have to hang on the wall. That way I'm not patching any holes.

8. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Just got a coupon book from Costco that has a $300 off coupon for a Sharp 37 inch Aqueous LCD. I was told this line has a 6ms refresh time. The 37 inch would be fine for bedroom TV and fit better than larger screens. Plasma doesn't seem to come in this size anymore. Any opinions on the Sharp 37 inch LCD ?

9. TooBokoo

TooBokoo Guest

This is a very nice line of LCD. I'd buy one in a second.

10. warnos16v

warnos16v Member

Like one of the other fellas said if you are not going over 40 inches get an LCD... I personally got a 50inch plasma... if you do get a plasma just be mindfull of burn in.. I have an LG and play games on it for hours on end with no problems... I put the contrast down to 65% when playing games to avoid any problems that I have heard other people having.. the newer plasmas don't appear to have all the issues the older ones had...
    I watch some of the news channels for hours and they have stationary images eg BBC & CNN... like the red and black news line down the bottom..
    Sometimes when I change channel if there is a black background you can still see the ghost buts it goes after about 30 sec...
    CYA

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Well I'll Be Joining the modern world of Flat screen Afficianado's soon Myself And Though I have'nt picked out a Particular brand or Model # yet I believe I will Go Either DLP or Lcd ! I don't Game so it'll Be mainly a Entertainment ( Movies & Cable ) set My main concern is Quality and Longevity ! The set I'm Sadly replacing is a 32" Sony That Just Died After almost 20yrs. I understand That Dlp sets can have The Projector lamp Burnout But that can be replaced or Fixed if under extended warranty! On Lcd's I'm not sure what The Warranty/extended warranty covers ? I'll Be going 40' minimum and preferably it's going on top of my Entertaiment center so no wall mounts will be needed ! I like Sony ( always had good service from their Electronics but I am not 100% wedded to that brand only ! I guess I'll Have to start researching seriously quite soon ? anyways Thanks for listening to me. Ciao!!!

12. danmax

danmax Member

Just looked at my post from 2007, I purchased a 26" LCD Dec. 07, just to see how it acts. The picture overlaps when it is like logos, or one of those movies where the last scene sort of fades into the next one. Its a Westinghouse, but the up side is it has alot of inputs so I can keep the games a computer and DVD payer all connected and it automaticly shuts off the cable when I turn on the computer or any other stuff I have hooked up. The real test will be when we go to HD next year.It's running at 480i now so that must be why it looks grainee and ghosts, unless it's just a cheap unit.$269. w/free shipping. But it is in the .com room so I really didn't see the need to purchase a top of the line unit. I know one thing DLP may take up more space but I'm still keeping an eye on both to see which one lasts longer, I don't want to keep a bank account just for tv replacement:{

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@BIGTOXY

I bought the 40"Samsung LCD 1.5 yrs ago. A friend bought a Zenith(LG) 37" LCD 2yrs ago. Neither of us has had problems. My daughter got a 32" Sammy LCD. All have good pictures. But so far I'm seeing the best pictures on Plasma sets-Panasonic mostly in another branch of our family. A repairman I know, won't touch a plasma set. No one with the plasmas have had problems-and the picture just pops out and shines much better than LCD-Black is black but black is grey on LCDs. Another friend bought a 50" DLP Sammy-picture is gorgeous. The plasmas are supposed to lose their brightness faster. It's a crap shoot. If I had to buy a new set today it would be a 46" panasonic plasma. And 720 p would be ok. I'm on Cox cable and the HD signal can be set only to 720p or 1080i. I have no HD DVD player or consoles. My Panny upconvert DVD player(HDMI conneted) makes my backups look great. A friend last night told me during the LSU massacre, that 40" TVs should be in the $500-600 range come Xmas-I don't see it. If you could, I would wait until after Xmas for best price. Good luck, overall I think you can't get a bad deal if you stick to good brand names. Picture beauty is in the eye of the beholder! JM2C

14. kesma594

kesma594 Member

Just to let everyone know SCREEN BURN IN IS STILL A ISSUE WITH PLASMA'S. I recently purchased a Samsung PN50A650 plasma, one of the new TOC models. Amazing picture quality but it really really easily gets ghosting if any image is fixed on the screen. Yes it has pixel shift for protection but its not effective. Its does have a built in signal noise feature to clear it but it takes time and is a choir.

So my take on LCD vs Plasma is choose LCD if you watch a CNN or play video games.
    Choose Plasma for Movies and if you watch TV channels that don't have a blotter.

15. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

I would disagree here. I have a Panasonic 37' Plasma and it has never even had ghosting. According to most of my contacts that also have Panasonic, they never get burn in either.

I do have a Samsung 50' that has SOME ghosting, but it goes away quickly. Actually, I took the year old advice of someone on here to use the digital filter and it has helped massively.

Now, I have little to no ghosting. Also, I bought the Monster HDP 1800 which has improved picture quality and has also helped the ghosting effect.

If you don't buy plasma you're really missing out.

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

My wife was dead set on getting an LG LCD for bedroom for Xmas. Went to BestBuy and not much from LG. At Circuit City they had an LG 42" LCD 720p for $749US. I believe it has a better picture than my 2 year old Sammy 40" LCD in the den. Talking to another friend yesterday with a 60' DLP and he has already had mirror problems and the lamp went out one month after warranty went out. They got it fixed under warranty tho.

17. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Check out
    Samsung 40 inch 550 series for $999 on Amazon 5 ms refresh
    rated #2 by consumer reports - only the 650 (4ms refresh) beat it, marginally

We bought two, a 40 and a 46 inch. stunning picture!

18. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

I vote LCD from personal experience's.
    Just wanted to add that Most LCD's don't take as much energy to run so electric bill may be a little cheaper with LCD.
    If you take apart a lcd and a plasma you will see alot more heat sinks,Fans, and electronics's in the plasma then the LCD.
    If you ask me I just think there is more of a chance of something going wrong with a Plasma.

I guess it comes down to your personal preference's.
    exp:
    I would go with a Panasonic Plasma before I went with an olevia syntax, or audiovox LCD.

Also It depends on what tv it is you really can't go by
    Brand nowadays people all ways ask me what's better samsung,sony or sharp, well you can't go by that it depends what model's they are.

OLED's will be hear before you know it.(I think)

19. blake1234

blake1234 Member

already hear just pricy

realy pricy
    link to buy one

only thing i like is how thin it is

[​IMG]

flexible oled

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008