1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD or plasma

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by camaro17, Oct 8, 2007.

1. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

Hi i want a new tv and i want to know which users of each think about theirs, and what is overall the best choice for picture quality frame refreshment, and hours it can be used. Thanks in advance

2. joytime36

joytime36 Member

I can tell you some good brands like Samsung , LG and Sharp .If you have control over the light level in the room get a plasma as they have far better pictures than LCDs, although LCDs are getting better. What I mean by light level is covering windows, you can use it with the lights off/dimmed etc...

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i didnt not write this, but i was written by somebody from cnet who commented in somebodies questions, so i hope this helps.

1]Older versions of Panasonic plasmas will experience screen burn in, burn in images like that of DVD players so called screen saver. The newer ones have fixed that problem.
    LCD never experience burn in.
    2]Since the Plasma screen is glass direct sun light will blind you or make it impossible to view the TV.
    LCD TVs don't have as much reflection because the screens are plastic.
    3]The life spam of a Plasma screen TV is about 10000 hours.
    Compared to the LCD life span of about 60000 hours.
    4]If you live in a high altitude area you need purchase an High altitude Plasma screen as they will make a humming noise like a florescent tube light bulb if you don't If you move to an High altitude area there is no fix other than buy a new TV.
    Again LCD TV are unaffected by altitude.
    5]Plasma TVs expend most of its energy as heat.
    LCD TVs heat expenditures could easily be half that of Plasma.
    6]LCD TVs do have their draw backs too. A fall from a shelf or A grandchild with a sharp nail could scar the screen for life. The same child with hammer could leave dent marks or even a fracture lines in the screen but still be alive to tell his grand children how close Grandpa came to killing him. If that child had hammered the plasma the explosion might put him in the hospital or worse.
    7]You might have noticed I am a little partial to LCD TVs.
    I paid $1700 for Sharp AQUOS LC-46D62U 46" 1080P last Christmas (which I still love)
    and I see this year they are going for about $1200.
    8]I did some checking and I found Sharps LC-52D92U 52" LCD TV and Panasonics 50PZ700U are comparably priced.

4. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

ok yesterday i saw a 32" Samsung which can put out up to 1080p using hdmi (it has 2 hdmi ports) and i think 1 like yb/pr/yr or whatever they are called that can put out 1080i and a few s-video and RCA cable ports, anyway it was for $725 Canadian, i thought this was a steal so can anyone tell me what they think, and thanks for the past help han thanks in advance

peace

5. donewell

donewell Regular member

I just bought a samsung 40" lcd 1080p with 5disk changer and suround sound home theater, awsome picture and sound!! i'm in canada and i have a 40 ft. tower with rotor and get all the hd around here (detroit) the thing i found out after i got it home most of the stations broadcast 3 or 4 programs at the same time. Like 56, 56-1 56-2 56-3

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's a crock.

7. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

MysticE

Am interested in your view on the issue of what is best Plasma or LCD.
    Also what is your view of the life span of either.

8. batdude1

batdude1 Member

Plasma for slighty bright rooms would be panasonic TH50PZ77U, for non-bright rooms it would be panasonic TH50PZ700U. LCD; Samsung LNT4671F, or Sony KDL46XBR4.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Hard to beat Panasonic plasmas. I've logged over 20,000 hours on my 42 inch EDTV and it looks like the day I bought it.

Some info from the upcoming Consumer Reports issue:

The consumer review firm's Annual Product Reliability Survey, featured in the upcoming December issue, found that the flat panel sets overall had a 3% repair rate. Rear-projection TVs, on the other hand, were found to be much more repair prone than its two rivals.

Panasonic's 50-inch TH-50PZ700U plasma model was named Consumer Reports' best flat-panel TV ever tested. Overall, Panasonic plasma sets had a 2% average repair rate.

Meanwhile, CR also found that prices for high-definition TVs are expected to drop about 30% on average this year than in the 2006 holiday shopping season. Plasma TV prices are expected to shrink the most, with 42-inch models falling below $1,000 by the end of the year, and some 50-inch models selling for less than $1,500.