1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD worse pic than CRT.

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by nerro, Feb 28, 2007.

1. nerro

nerro Member

Hi guys,

i need some help. i recently got a 42" philips lcd tv. i connected my ps2 up to it using a rgb scart lead, when i started playing i noticed that the picture quality was actually a little worse than how it looked on my 32" sony crt. It was quite blurry.

Now is this because of the cable im using or will i only get a better picture on the hdtv compared to crt if the source is hd like a ps3?

If it is the cable could anyone tell me what type of cable i need.

Thanks

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Most HDTVs do not display standard definition sources such as a PS2 as well as a CRT.

3. Rob423

Rob423 Member

yea the Tuners in the HDTV show regular TV terrible in my opinion.

if you have an HDTV, try to watch HD only content.

4. Flameon

Flameon Member

Get PS2 Component cables and it will look clear.

5. nerro

nerro Member

Thanks, i'll try the component cables. Any particular brand you guys would recommend? i've heard that the Monster brand are supposed to be pretty good but they are avery expensive. I've seen cheaper cables on ebay. is it worth paying the extra for the monster? looking at a difference of about £30.

6. Flameon

Flameon Member

Monster Cables are trash and a complete waste of money. Get the cheapest cables you can find on eBay and they will look just as good as the Monster cables.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

It would be hard to find much to watch with Cox cable in HD. There are local channels and a handfull of other choices along with 2 ESPNS.

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I would disagree with that statement. I conducted an A-B test when my parents put together their home entertainment center which consists of:

Mitsubishi 55" Diamond Series 1080i
    Denon 5.1 Surround Sound Receiver, Denon DVD Player
    Klipsch speakers and subwoofer
    Monster cable running to all the speakers, components and subwoofer.

Conpared to the cheap-o cabling they bought, the Monster stuff produced a slightly better, brigher and more colorful picture not a huge amount but enough to buy Monster again if and or when I setup my own home theater.

The biggest benefit seemed to come from the sound though, it was more accurate and cleaner when comparing the cheap-o cables.

Picture quality: Not really worth it, enough to buy Monster again but only under certain situations. Although I never conducted a high definition A-B test, which I would think would have the most impact when comparing Cheap-o cable to Monster.

Sound quality: Worth going Monster for sure, but that is just my opinion as the Monster stuff made everything sound, again, more accurate, whole and clean then the cheap-o stuff.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I just ordered 3 HDMI to HDMI 6ft cables from one of our advertizers here, Firefold for @$4.19 total with shipping was $19.80; less than the price of RBG three wire cheapest component cable from BB. Sure beats the MonsterCable price of $150!! Laughable Do people actually pay that price???

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  10. Flameon

Flameon Member

Most normal people don't have $200 to waste on cables when the picture is "slightly" better. I my 6ft HDMI cable for my PS3 for $6:37 shipped of MonoPrice.com

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

So she says " Do You have Cable ? " I said I think the Ropes will Be plenty strong enough ?Thank You !!!! LOL- @ garmoon !!! Sorry ! Just kidding Buddy ! Good Luck With Your cables everybody !!!!!!!!!!Ciao!

12. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Only time Monster can be worth it is when you have a REALLY high end home theater setup... but there's other options that are out there that are just as good and cheaper... you pay a lot for their name.

But yeah... for the ps2 just get some cheap component cables. I think you can get some from Best Buy by Pelican or a random brand like that for 15 bucks.

Look for progressive scan or 1080i options as well as widescreen settings in the more recent games. They make it look 10x better. Guitar Hero 2 was one of the better examples of this...

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@bigtoxy69

No problem, buddy. Still haven't received the HDMI cables yet. So don't know if there will be an improvment. At the momemnt, I'm not too optimistic!

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Monster is respected for their audio cables not their video cables. Monster uses the respect (brand power) from their audio know how to charge more for video cables. A lot of companies are better at video than them but may not have the same brand recognition.

Funny thing is Monster paid to put THX on their video cables (but not HDMI cables) before THX had a video specification! Buy monster for any audio need but leave video to professionals.

Ced

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@BIGTOXY69

When I got the HDMI cables, the Cox DVR Box does not let the audio volume be controlled with the Cable remote. I had to use the TV remote. The picture quality wasn't measureably better so I'm back to component cables and doing nicely.

16. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

I never use the cable box volume anyways... does too many weird things to levels. Better to just lock it in and use your tv/amp volume instead.

Didn't know that the hdmi video forced you to use external audio control though... odd

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007