1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leeches

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by bonton, Jun 15, 2003.

1. bonton

bonton Guest

I have a problem with leeches while using WinMX. It probably shouldn’t bother me as much as it does but I hate them. Now I realise no one is going to admit to being a leech but does anyone know any leeches? Has anyone got any friends who are leeches? The reason I ask is that I really want to know why they do it? What do they get out of it? It’s a complete mystery to me. I get a slightly better download rate when no one is uploading from me but it is only slightly better and doesn’t make much difference. And I’ve only got a 56K connection, it must make even less difference with better connections. I run LeecHammer as do many others and I hammer/ignore loads of them so it must make downloading a frustrating experience for them a lot of the time. Why do they do it?
    Even with LeecHammer some get through and sometimes I find I’ve cancelled or hammered someone I shouldn’t have which is annoying.
    I had someone this morning who I browsed before LeecHammer hit him and he was only sharing three incomplete files. Goodbye. Ten minutes later he was back with a different name, same incomplete files. Goodbye again. Another ten minutes and he’s back with yet another name. Final goodbye as I was going off-line. Why has he gone to all this trouble only to end up frustrated when he would only have to share a bit to have a trouble free download? I have LeecHammer set low, 40 or less cancel and 20 or less hammer. They don’t have to share much to download from me but lots just won’t do it. Why? Any theories gratefully received.

2. Powa

Powa Regular member

Maybe cos they can't be stuffed sharing 40 odd files just to download something?