1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

legal issue

Discussion in 'PS2' started by noobhere, Jan 28, 2004.

1. noobhere

noobhere Member

Hello all, here's a question that I hope won't create to much of a debate, but I have the original game of gta vice city, but I can't copy it because it is scratched like crazy. Is it legal for me to borrow a friends game and copy it or go to blockbuster and copy the rented game, as long as I still have the broken original?

Thanks.

2. Assassin3

Assassin3 Member

Technically, copying any rented game is illegal, not sure about a friends game though.

3. _D3DAiM_

_D3DAiM_ Regular member

Sounds like "stretching the rules" to me. I would bet that Blockbuster has its own policy and probably would fine you anyways. Borrowing from a friend and burning if you have the game sounds legal, but don't trust me, I may be wrong. Lets hope you get more posts.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i don't understand why you brought it up anyways, not like anyone can catch you, unlike downloading off the net.

5. noobhere

noobhere Member

That would be dishonest. And I guess that's why your name is sly. lol

6. noobhere

noobhere Member

Also sly, not that I do it but how would people get caught downloading the software? Is there actually someone monitoring this? Sorry for the stupid question but I've never tried to d/l software and to tell you the truth wouldn't even know how. just curious.

7. _D3DAiM_

_D3DAiM_ Regular member

There is really good chance whether your dloading games off the net or burning them from bloackbuster, you're probably will not get caught. Yes, that is right, but that's not how life is man. We're trying to be fair and right, and we're not trying to steal money from other rightly deserved people. I don't know why all these threads are always leading to topics about piracy that doesn't belong in this forum.

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

if you own the real game then it should be ok to copy your friends as long as you still have the orignal....its like people who sell backups, you own the orignal and you are getting a backup from someone else...same thing except ur making the backup instead of buy it

9. noobhere

noobhere Member

Cool. Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I think I'll get the game off my friend, and lay low from the cops, in mexico for a while, just in case. lol

thanks again,

10. Xian

Xian Regular member

Thats what my gripe is with software/game companies. They say you have a license to run a piece of software so if I am really just buying a license, why can't I get replacement media if the media is defective? I would pay a reasonable replacment cost in the case of a scratch or some other defect that was my own fault, but I am not going to pay $50 again for the same thing. Instead I got a fliptop for the PS2 and make copies of everything I buy and never play the originals.

11. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

there are companies that will exchange a scratched or defective disc of the original game for a small fee plus shipping. we discussed this about a year ago but for the life of me i cant remember what thread it was on.

12. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

technically legal or not, i believe any halfwit would find that a case like this would be okay...

noone can expect you to go buy the game again because of a freak accident or whatever...it would be especially okay if you have an honest library of games not a collection of cd-rs dvd-rs...

for instance, a long time ago with my ps1...i had that spawn game (friend hated it and gave it to me), i put it in the computer to see if i could watch videos from it on the computer and when taking it out of the drive i slammed it against the edge of my desk and put a hole in the cd that made it unable to be backed up or read by a ps2...

in cases like these i find it totally okay to backup someone else's copy given you can prove that you own the original....i would believe any official would dismiss it along the same lines

13. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yes i agree, i've done alot of backups for people that didn't have a dvd burner themselves, or no other means of doing a backup. lets face it, kids are hell on game discs, i know mine are anyways. As long as you got proof that you own the game, i think it's ok to make a backup, or have one made for you any way you can do it. But i do NOT like that people sell backups online since there's no real way to prove that the buyer actually owns the game, i just feel these people that sell them online are asking for trouble and contibuting to piracy, which in turn, adds to the headaches that the legit person making backups of their games already has (new copy protections, etc)