1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by _D3DAiM_, Jan 21, 2004.

1. _D3DAiM_

_D3DAiM_ Regular member

It is legal to burn a backup of a game if you have the original game in the USA, correct?

2. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Yes, and if you sell the game you must destroy the backup.

3. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

by the law you CAN make a backup of the game you already have... BUT you cant make gackups and sell them... nor make backups of games you dont have(rents,other peoples games).... you also CAN make as much as backups as you want... but NOT loan them... or rent them..... you CANT let other people use them... if they want yo use you give the original game not the backup.... if you dont trust them with the game.... they either buy it or get from someone else... no one force you to let them have the game.... and thats about it.... backups always WERE and WILL be personal use.... nothing more.... so plz dont sell or let others sell backups... thats wrong... do backups but dont sell ^_^ btw the last time i heard a fine aobut doing backups and selling is about 250,000 and up to 10 years in jail..... 500,000 is making backups of movies lol.... the rest of it goes much higher and much worse... that is all ^_^

5. rizzed

rizzed Member

Cyperian it's all propaganda, don't believe in the lies. Piracy isn't as big of an issue as you think but groups like the RIAA make it seem much larger. 99.8% of people that download stuff illegally will never be caught.

6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

for one next time get my name right ok?... you call me a liar?.... i know ALOT of people who got busted for this.... and i dont give a s*** about RIAA... they do only in music... that got nothing to do with this... get your facts straight... 99.8% my a** how about 70 to 60 hmm?... and i bet you dl lots of things.... a big strong person like you dl ALOT so what if you dl?... big deal... i bet your isp already send you a letter about it.... btw piracy is a BIG issue.... one day youll get it no worry... propaganda or not every one get what he deserve... end of story... just remmber it's only laws... sometimes you can use it against them...

7. _D3DAiM_

_D3DAiM_ Regular member

Calm down Cyprien, he's only a newb, like me lol. But man, pirating is a big deal, I used to do it but even if you don't get cought it just rips working people off. Anyways, thanks for the info. I already knew about all what you CAN'T do with a modchip, but I guess it might help some newbs out, like rizzed. I knew it was legal in some counties, but it says on some sites "It is legal in most countries to copy backups if you own the original copy," now I know. Thanks again!

8. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

if the people wouldnt understand the law there will be no chips for ps2... they use the legal side of the chip to sell them.... you think the usa will let people sell things like that?... lol thats ilegal BUT since the the chip boots up imports it's all fine... since imports are ok by copyright laws.. so there we can sell ps2 chips that can boot up backups... didnt we learn something today? lol

9. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

[bold](b) Lease, Sale, or Other Transfer of Additional Copy or Adaptation. -

Any exact copies prepared in accordance with the provisions of this section may be leased, sold, or otherwise transferred, along with the copy from which such copies were prepared, only as part of the lease, sale, or other transfer of all rights in the program. Adaptations so prepared may be transferred only with the authorization of the copyright owner.[/bold]

I know what your saying is right, but there are people that sell and buy backups. See there is a law that makes it legal. It is very wierd though. It seems very much illegal but this part of the law makes it legal someway. It is saying that you can make a backup and sell it to someone as long as the person your selling it to has the orginal disc of the game he is buying from you. This is possible because not everyone has a cd or dvd burner to make a backup of there software. So people can buy from other people, but it is like your paying for the media and the process of the burn. It gets confusing, but this is true. I know afterdawn doesn't like to talk about selling games. But I'm just bringing this up as a given true fact.

10. rizzed

rizzed Member

I'm only a newb on this board big deal, I've been fxping for over 6 years now. The RIAA is after everything incase you didn't know, they will bust you for movies/games/music anything. Obviously you don't follow the news. And piracy is overrated and yes the RIAA and other groups use propaganda to make it seem much worse than it is. I've written a few reports in the last years for various classes and I know enough about whats going on to tell you the facts. Don't believe me? I don't really give a damn, I tell the truth and thats it.

11. rizzed

rizzed Member

gfg double post

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  12. brianbb

brianbb Member

I totally agree with rizzed. Admit it. Over 95% of the people who use this forum probably have downloaded ps2 games, music, all illegaly, knowing of the very small chances to get caught. Think Cyprien, you think this forum would have this many followers just so they can learn how to play imports and backup games for their personal use. Ya RIGHT!

So you know plenty of people who have gotten caught for this? The most I and many others know is 0. And even if you did know plenty, that would most likely mean your involved in it too. If it's not the RIAA who's tracking down these piraters, then who is? Why hasn't it been making news like the music downloading industry? How come its always a friend, or a friends friend, or relative that got busted? That just makes it sound too unreal.

Ask anybody, when a modchip comes to mind for them, its usually means copying their friends game, giving it back, then maybe downloading a few on the internet.

13. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

blah blah blah get back to your "fxp" group lol... people like you are not welcome here... no one gives a damn about what you think anyway... or cares about what you say...

14. brianbb

brianbb Member

Wow, at first I thought you were an intelligent person, but now it just seems as if you are an immature 12 year old.... Time to get a life off your computer?

Not welcome here? So, after everyone listens to your BS information, you're cocky enough to think that you are 100% correct? Haha, you think everyone thinks like you? Actually what I told before, would bring up peoples hopes about not getting caught.

Seems like you'll never have a life or friends... anyways, go back to reading your star trek book.

Btw, I have no idea what the hell a fxp group is, more proof that you need a life.

15. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

I agree with rizzed and brianbb. The subject they bring up is very interesting and true. Because this is exactly what most people are doing. People download music, games, programs everyday. Its the same things as people who sell, trade, or purchase software backups. Many people do it, and will continue to do it. Brianbb is right. Half the people on this forum have probably downloaded music, programs, etc. But no one mentions it because this ps2 forum is basically for discussing mod chips and support issues dealing with the burning of backups. Of course there are other forums that let you discuss selling and buying games. But afterdawn set there forums up by what they think is legal and illegal. So they set up this ps2 forum with a given set of rules on there side of the subject.

Well of course people might get caught, and certain p2p programs will get deleted. But there are to many of them to find. People will just make another one, after another. Just like people selling and buying backups. There are too many sellers and buyers to catch. It's just not worth the time for the U.S to begin looking for p2p users, and pirated game sellers. Unless the U.S wants to take 50 million people to jail.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]PS2 v7
    Magic 3.1
    Lite-On LDW-411S[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2004
  16. Ender88

Ender88 Regular member

Totally agree with you guys. I know someone at my school that got busted along with his family, but they had like 20,000 downloaded songs in total (they like music, and he's in a band). He also got busted for having pot at relatively the same time, bad stroke of luck I guess. But how random is that? No worries.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  17. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Wow! 20,000 songs. He must have a good comp to hold all them. Not even DJ's have that many songs.

18. vairox

vairox Regular member

20,000 songs at 5 megs each is only 97.7 gigs, i can fit 3 times that many songs on my pc... it isnt that much anymore

19. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yea I bought my comp about 2 years ago and it only came with a 80GB hard drive. Now they sell comps with 160GB hard drives, and the comps are $200 cheaper than my comp. Prices for computers went down a little this year.

20. rizzed

rizzed Member

Ya computers keep getting cheaper and cheaper, technology is getting cheaper as a whole, cept for cars that is. I've seen 160 gig hd's on sale for like 80 bucks and DVD burners can be picked up for about 60, but about 80 seems the norm for them right now. If only I could get a raise :).