1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lessons in Linux

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by tater9104, Dec 21, 2005.

1. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

I think that one of the hardest parts about learning linux is the learning curve that is contains. There is so much great stuff out there, but simple things, like installing programs, are very difficult for people who come from a GUI Windows perspective. Can you all suggest any resources that go through the features of linux and cover many of the basic operations/structure. I guess I could go buy a book, but where is the fun in that. Thanks

Tater9104

2. Daniel_G

Daniel_G Guest

There are loads of linux forums, irc chats, usenet groups, etc. check the website of whatever distro it is you are thinking of using, look for a FAQ, it'll probably list numerous places where you can get help from.

3. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

For Linux I only use the free versions of everything.

PDR60

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2005
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@PDR60

i take it you don't mean to pimp your own site

5. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

I'm just trying to get the guy some help. Since your editing posts for me I won't "pimp" my own site as it might actually get the guy the help he needs.......

PDR60

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm not here to bust your chops, it's just we can help ppl without sending 'em off elsewhere, ya know ?.

i do Linux too, it's just i'm a bit caught up in threads at the moment

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  7. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

Do what i did. install and figure your stuck with it. Learning is so much easier when you have no choice.... Being lazy about it, or just thinking ohh i cant do this. isnt the attitude to have, Not saying thats how you think... But ever heard of a lil search engine called Google. Its your friend.