1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem letters and numbers above words in subtitle

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kookie56, Oct 6, 2017.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I have subtitles for Dr. Who. All are working correctly, but one.
    When the subtitles are on the screen (of tv), there are numbers and letters above the words.
    Example:
    X 1:170 X 2:59 Y 1:474 Y 2:254
    "Summon the steward!
    I'm afraid the steward is dead"

That is what I see on the screen. The subtitles for the videos before and after that are fine.
    Why is this happening? And how can I stop the letters and numbers from showing up?
    I hope someone can tell me why this is happening.
    I would appreciate any help anyone can give.
    Thank you.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm wondering if those are placement on screen as in how far from horiz & vert.I'd open the subs in a text editor create a backup & find if those words etc are written into the sub speech line & delete them

3. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I have opened the subtitle and those numbers and letters are not there. Only when watching on tv.
    I will try making a backup and check again. But I don't know. I didn't see anything when I opened the srt with subedit.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

play the episode in mpc from klite.once it's playing go to file in menu bar & click on it then scroll down to subtitles & once the menu for that appears left click download subs.Select as many as you want,then activate them one by one & see if they have that crap appear

What episode is it as well & send me a pm with a link to your problem subs & i'll try it out

edit: its late now.i'll try it out in the morn if you post before then

5. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

The thing is...the showing of numbers and letters only shows up tv. It does not show up on PC. And there are no numbers and letters in the subtitles when you see them on the PC (or with Subedit,Subtitle Workshop, or SWX)
    I store my videos on portable hard drives and play the videos through my Blu-Ray players. I have a Philips Blu-Ray player and a Samsung Blu-Ray player.
    I just checked and the numbers and letters only show up when I am watching the video through my Philips Blu-Ray player, not the Samsung.
    Does help you?

6. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I can send you the subtitle, if you need it.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I doubt its the subs themselves.I'm not sure why they appear onscreen in one player and not another..To me they appear to be settings of where onscreen subs should be,as before encoding you can set location whether its higher or lower,to the left or the right..Is there another set of subs in the video file..Sending me the subs won't help as i only use a pc

what episode of dr who is it and what size and resolution

8. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I fixed the problem. Like you said, I copied the subtitle text to notepad and created the srt from that. Now the subs play fine. Don't know what happened with the other one. Never had this happen before. It was Dr. Who (2005) episode 1x02. 1280x720 res.
    Thank you for all your help. I know it takes time out of your day. Thank you again.