1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

letters from isp :(

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Claf, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Claf

Claf Guest

what happens when you get these nasty letters from your isp's...are they just a warning?

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Pretty much, but if you keep annoying the MPAA\RIAA they will sue you! Use Peerguardian to make yourself invisible. Will stop all the letters!

3. Claf

Claf Guest

really, sue me? if they sue everyone like that then why haven't i heard of any other cases?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@claf

What planet do you come from? How can you not have heard of people being sued for pirating music and movies?

6. lauzzie

lauzzie Guest

Hi Guys, I was just reading this thread and was just wondering what Peerguardian is and is there a link I can get it from. Any help would be good. Thanks

7. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

lauzzie

Here is the link for PeerGuardian-it is free-and essential:

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

I found this on PeerGuardian posted by ekwei at another site:

"Here is how downloading works without PeerGuardian 2:

1.) You download a .torrent (fake or not) that uses an MPAA-sanctioned tracker.
    2.) Upon connecting to download this .torrent, the MPAA-sanctioned tracker refers your connection to the MPAA.
    3.) The referall is unhindered between your PC and the MPAA server, and the MPAA records your IP address as attempting to download illegal material.
    4.) The MPAA proceeds to notify your ISP.

Here is how downloading works with PeerGuardian 2:

1.) You download a .torrent (fake or not) that uses an MPAA-sanctioned tracker.
    2.) Upon connecting to download this .torrent, the MPAA-sanctioned tracker refers to your connection to the MPAA.
    3.) PeerGuardian 2 STOPS this referral from your PC to the MPAA server, and the MPAA is not notified and you are allowed to continue on with your life.

BTW, PeerGuardian 2 is FREE. Downloading it through PhoenixLabs or uTorrent is PERFECTLY LEGAL. Have no fear!\

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed, 100% way to download this type of material without detection. However, PG2 GREATLY decreases your chances of getting caught, and that is all we can hope to achieve right now."

8. Claf

Claf Guest

i come from earth lol, im just saying that i didnt think they would sue every old joe for downloading 2 movies,i thought they only went after the big fish like major uploaders

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Claf
    If the MPAA is on a torrent, then every IP on that torrent is referred. Those whose IP referral is not blocked by PeerGuardian will get a warning letter.

Lawsuits usually only come after warnings, so the lawsuits are not that common compared to that total number of users.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Here's another story and there are many more. I don't know how true it is because I never heard the outcome but it came from a reputable source. About 2 years ago, a grandson went to visit his grandparents and while there downloaded 2 videos and because the ISP was in the grandfather's name, he was held responsible and the MPAA was after some huge amount. No warning letter, pretty rare but apparently it does happen.

11. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Mistycat

i thought I remembered that story so I did a google. The story I found was 12 year old grandson downloaded 4 movies at grandfather's house. Suit was filed for $600,000 after the grandfather rejected an offer to pay $4,000 in 12-18 monthly installments. This was back in 2005:

http://www.econoculture.com/m/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=64

Another story on this indicated that the files had been removed shortly after downloading.

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Yeah, that's probably it. The facts seem correct from what I remember.